1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Addiction to Coffee - why? why?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Booty Bits, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

okay, so i think i am addicted to coffee.

i started getting a cup of coffee every morning at work a few months ago.

now, if the machine is broken, or i forget to get some, i get a headache and i get tired.

here's my question:
    am i feeling tired because i would normally feel so tired, but am used to the coffee giving me energy?

or is my addiction to caffeine the reason why i feel so tired if i don't get my 'fix'?

2. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

you just hit the nail on the head! welcome to the world of physical addiction -- you're now officially a caffeine junky. [​IMG]

3. funkNstyle

funkNstyle TRIBE Member

I think I am too.
    Only I get 4x4 (4 sugar, 4 cream) How's that to kick start your morning [​IMG]

Jonny

4. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

i get that headache thing too.

it bites.

5. Libradragon

Libradragon TRIBE Promoter

Liz, i think it's the addiction. [​IMG] I was thinking the exact same thing this morning - i was literally stumbling out of the subway station, my head fuzzy and cloudy as I headed straight for the coffee shop. It wasn't until after the first few sips (as i'm typing this) that i realize that my head is starting to clear up.

6. Temper Tantrum

Temper Tantrum TRIBE Member

If your only drinking one cup a day that definetly should not be enough to give you caffeine withdrawl (ie. the headache), usually you have to get up to like about four cups a day before that happens. So it could all be in your head or you might just be ubber sensitive to caffeine. I seem to be desensitized to it which is my problem. I drink the stuff to wake up/stay up (damn work) and go through about 3 or 4 cups of coffee in a day and at least a few Cokes...I've been cutting back severly (like one cup a day) and have had headaches. Best thing to do (for me) is drink lots of water and pop some advil

~allie~

7. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

wow. if you feel strung out, drop the sugar from the equation. too much of that is really hard on you.

8. Gunark

Gunark TRIBE Member

I quit coffe about a year and a half ago. I was at the point where I would have 4 or 5 cups a day and I would be literarly shaking by the time I was left work.

Switching to tea worked for me. It still has some caffeine so it wasn't like going cold turkey.

I have to admit though that last week I cracked for the first time and bought myself a moccachino. Fortunately the experience made me remember exactly why I stopped drinking coffee -- terrible heartburn, feeling jittery like I have ADD, and then then the crash after the caffeine wears off. Plus I don't think my gastrointestinal tract (accustomed to organic food and other goodness) can take take coffee anymore.

9. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Weird. I drink coffee regularly.
    But I get a headache if I have too much.

Make sure you're having plenty of water during the day. Too much coffee can dehydrate you, and if it's all you're drinking, you may not be getting enough water, (yes, I know coffee is made of water, but that doesn't matter).

Ming.

10. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

i can't bring myself to quit. i have cut way back though. when i was in college i would drink 8 - 10 cups a day, between school and work. my body was always aching and tired, my mood was brutal -- ever known a meth-head? caffeine freaks aren't much better. [​IMG]

now i have 2 - 3 per day, and maybe a cup of tea. i'd like to cut back further, but...

11. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

my boss drinks one of those plastic 'pots' of coffee a day. ( 10 cups or so? )
    he brews it in the morning and continuously fills his cup from it all day long.
    it's SOOO disgusting.

it's funny too, cause he's always complaining how his diet doesn't work, meanwhile he pours like 2 or 3 creamers in every cup he drinks.

12. janiecakes

janiecakes TRIBE Member

i drink one (maybe 2 on occasion) cup of coffee a day, and i get a headache about 10 minutes after 11, which is when i usually have it, if i don't drink any.

i've never heard that 4 cups a day thing.

13. Jeremy Jive

Jeremy Jive TRIBE Member

I haven't had a cup of coffee in two years. I had to quit becuase of ulcers. I don't really miss it the caffeine but I do miss the taste of Hazelnut Vanilla coffee.

jeremy -and decaf sucks fat goatse ass- jive

14. Silverback

Silverback TRIBE Member

<---- Water every morning once I get to work, only use coffee in desparate times, attempting to avoid the potential addiction. [​IMG]

15. Smiley Jo

Smiley Jo TRIBE Member

I used to work at Starbucks and went through serious withdrawl after I quit.
    I used to drink entire cups of espresso just to feel normal.
    Now I usually have a cup in the AM, but I don't find that it really does much to wake me up, it's just routine.

Joanna [​IMG]

16. Temper Tantrum

Temper Tantrum TRIBE Member

I guess it depends on how strong you brew the coffee

http://www.usc.edu/student-affairs/dt/V144/N06/04-caffe.06c.html

So if your having a cup with 280 milligrams that would be more then enough. We make pretty weak coffee which is probably why I drink so much before I get caffeine deprivation.

~allie~

17. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

yeah tt, i think that might have more to do with personal body chemistry than anything else.

my father has cut down to one cup a day but he still gets nasty withdrawal symptoms on yom kippur (when we have to fast) if he doesn't ween himself off of coffee for the previous week.

i am not even drinking a full cup of coffee a day... its this wussy mixture of hot chocolate and coffee and i still get headaches!

ya know, i never drank coffee (before starting this job) because it reeks havoc on my tummy, and i figured that if it always hurt my stomach, i would never drink it.

now somehow, i have learned to tolerate the acute stomach pains and have developed an addiction none the less.

this blows.

18. t-boy

t-boy TRIBE Member

i am very glad that i find the taste of coffee pretty disgusting. I mean, i'll drink the shit if its the only option in terms of hot drinks.. but I avoid it whenever possible. Tea just tastes so much better, and the amount of caffeine is much less than in coffee.

For arousal purposes, I would rather take some ephedrine. It does a much better job at keeping you awake and NOT jittery, and concentration is increased as well. I only take ephedrine if my arousal declines to the point where I can't perform my job, or when I go out at night. So basically its definatly not an everyday thing for me. Usually I have about 3 ephedrines a week.

Somehow I'm just not comfortable with starting to rely on everymorning stimulants to keep me alert. I'd rather go to sleep a bit earlier, although that almost never works.

19. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

I have never had a cup of coffee in my life. And I don't plan to either.

I've also only ever had one cup of tea. I didn't really want to drink it, but I was just being polite.

Cheers ... Ian [​IMG]

20. Libradragon

Libradragon TRIBE Promoter

really? my experiences prove quite the opposite. my stomach feels horrendous, my hands start to shake, and my breathing is irregular. This was when I was at western, and ephedrine and dexadrene were more common than timmy's coffee.

I used to buy bags of chocolate covered espresso beans and eat those all night (to study) when i ran out of ephedrine.

I shudder just remembering all that.

I only take ephedrine if my arousal declines to the point where I can't perform my job, or when I go out at night. So basically its definatly not an everyday thing for me. Usually I have about 3 ephedrines a week.

Somehow I'm just not comfortable with starting to rely on everymorning stimulants to keep me alert. I'd rather go to sleep a bit earlier, although that almost never works.[/B][/QUOTE]

21. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

ya know, tea actually has a higher caffeine level than coffee, its just that tea is much more diluted in water.

22. pedro

pedro New Member

i'm sooo addicted. and i have the 'i need a coffee right now' headache at the moment. needs xl dd..... STAT.

23. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

haha this thread made me do a double take.
    i haven't drank a cup of coffee in a few years now.

24. squirrely

squirrely TRIBE Member

gah! this is me exactly! i've yet to experience the withdrawal symptoms, but i am seriously hooked on the happy buzzy feeling i get after drinking my delicious homemade cafe mocha.

:(

i never wanted to be a morning coffee drinker. i hate the thought of being hooked on *anything*.

25. Snapper

Snapper TRIBE Member

I'm so hooked, I don't even care what kinda coffee it is!