10,000 dollars - What would you do?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Smiley Jo, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Hmmm. that's a tough one, I would return it. Why, because I would feel probably too guilty for the tellers who were going to get in crap for the loss, and any employee that would have been canned because of it. It wouldn't cross my mind twice, I would return the coin. Organizations don't forget things like that, if she was smart she would switch 'home' branches' to that location and leverage this throughout her life time, establish a great relationship with the bank and forever be able to negotiate better loan and mortgage rates. Even though the loss would have been a drop in the bucket for them. She got her loan approved because of it, 500$ cash reward, is better than going to jail.

2. twist

twist TRIBE Member

ah fuck em. it's nice not having a concsience. Put it in a box and keep it for 10 years. Anything they might suspect will be long gone and it would be purely circumstantial and they wouldn't be able to do shit.

I read stories like this and am deeply saddened what the hell is wrong with these people. It's a dog eat dog world I mean sure you're taking from someone or something but in the end your getting taken away from by a million people. Life throws you a meal ticket you pick it up.

TANSTAAFL

There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

3. twist

twist TRIBE Member

on a side note if you work for an armoured car company and lose 10,000 dollars then you're probably too fucking stupid to be working there anyways. If some chef in a restaurant fucked up your food and put something in that you asked to have taken out and you're allergic are you gonna say oh don't worry it's ok I don't want to get you in trouble. Fuck that I'm takin those bastards to the cleaners. I expect anyone else to do the same to me if I fuck up.

4. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

where did you pick up that phrase? it's a personal favourite of mine. :)

5. Pyrovitae

Pyrovitae TRIBE Member

this as i see it is the real problem. i don't think i could keep the money. petty theft is one thing, but this is *big*, and the ramifications, (i.e. being caught,) are inevitable. it would weigh heavily on my conscience too.

besides, i've learned in my young life that stealing is *wrong*.:D absolutely reprehensible. nonono. baaaad.

and if you *are* going to take something, make sure that there are no security cameras capturing your image as you do so.

*muah*
    ~N

6. twist

twist TRIBE Member

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. All his books are on some next level ish.

7. Pyrovitae

Pyrovitae TRIBE Member

rosey is now in love with you.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Or, in Japanese: Tada yori takai mono wa nai.

9. twist

twist TRIBE Member

I'm all out of lubricant.

10. mcbee

mcbee TRIBE Member

I'd wanna keep it, but i'd feel way too guilty and i'd give it back:(

but on the subject of service charges...GRRRRR. i hate them and they seem to be ripping me off!

:)sarah

11. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

my dear friend natalie is correct. :D

heinlein is my favourite author. i have read everything that he ever published (including speeches and essays). the moon is a harsh mistress is one of my favourite books.

have you read a lot of his stuff? harsh mistress fits into a long and nonlinear series of books in a kind of offshoot fashion.

man i wish he had lived a couple more years. :( heinlein died with a final book only partially drafted and a conclusion to the series planned but not yet penned. :(

12. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

while we're talking about service charges.. did everyone notice that service charges for atm user on an atm other than your banks are going up? 1.50 or 2 bucks a transaction i think.....

where is it going to stop?

Dave

13. twist

twist TRIBE Member

I've read a fair bit but there's still a lot I haven't. It's really hard with him cause I always like to read his books in one go and I don't often have 8 hours to spare. Ya it is too bad that he's not around his ideas were unbelievably well crafted and his writing was nothing short of brilliant I'm just always amazed at how timeless his stories are and how much the guy is worshipped in so many different circles.

14. Pyrovitae

Pyrovitae TRIBE Member

that money actually goes a few places. atm's need a telephone line and money loaded on a daily basis. if it's an atm in a restaurant or other establishment, often the owner will do it themselves, (load cash/provide an existing phone line.) they glean maybe .50 per transaction as an incentive. the rest goes to salesmen/atm companies...independant wholesalers/leasers of the machines themselves.

and hopefully it stops at two dollars a transaction. (right now i believe that's the maximum, and blame whatever place you happen to be in for capping it at that 'cuz it's *their* decision.)

15. Boo

Boo TRIBE Member

I even know the bank in the article. Why wasn't it me?

I'd keep it! Not a doubt in my mind. And ya the money would have probably been insured. Individual deposits (Little Bobby, etc) are protected for up to $60,000 by deposit insurance.

Service charges blow my mind. They were no where near this expensive before ATM's and internet banking. How could it cost me more to pay a bill online then to take up 15 minutes of a teller's time to do it?

16. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

I didn't read the whole thread so some may already have mentioned this. Sure, it's your money in your account, but they are also providing a secure place to keep your money. They are also providing the service of letting you take your money out whenever and whereever you want. I am sure this is much better than carrying around a large sum of money constantly. If it's a savings account they'll even pay YOU to put your money there.

As for their profits, you have to at it in relative terms. Sure, X millions may sound a lot but when you look at how much they invested to make that amount then it is not as bad. Someone who invested $10 getting $100 in profit back is surely a great return, but if someone invested $1 million and gets $100 in profit then I wouldn't call the investment all that good. Just think about how much it would cost(invest) to operate a bank.

Pete

17. Adam Duke

Adam Duke TRIBE Member

I think I've had it with the regular banks - i think i'm going to pay bills with those accounts and keep everything else at ING, perhaps also getting a Presidents Choice account.
    i beleive in Europe they don't charge you at all to use an ATM for retrieving money..
    Banks make a completely RIDICULOUS amount off of Canadians for the actual services they provide.

@m.

18. LoopeD

LoopeD Well-Known Member

At Royal Bank, you can get 25 transactions a month for 6 bucks. And I think for like 9 or 10 bucks you can get 60.........

Helps with the Interac charges.

BTW, banks make a large percentage of their profits from service charges; the phone lines, salesman etc. probably get paid about 2 percent of it.............

:)d

19. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

I agree with Rosey 100% except remove the word almost from the phrase "i would almost certainly keep it."

Bumbaclat

20. Finch

Finch TRIBE Member

Reasons why you SHOULD keep the money:

#1 - The employees who made the error, regardless of if you return the money or not, are going to be punished for making that error. The fact the money was recovered does not erase the incompetance of the employee who originally made the mistake.

#2 - Banks have insurance for losses of money - Robbery, Loss, Computer error. They pay lots of money to an insurance company for this protection, and the insurance company would simply pay the money back.

#3 - It is possible that they could track you down by use of the bank machine's camera and relating that to your bank card which was used at the time. But, what if the money was found by someone who did not use the machine, previous to you arriving there? That is more than enough doubt to hold you harmless as far as the law is concerned.

#4 - It is not actually ILLEGAL to take the money. If I leave something on the street, and you find it, you are not responsible for it's return to me, even if it has my name on it.

#5 - The only reasonable effect to your common man as a result of you keeping the money is the following string of logic: You keep the money. The insurance company launches an investigation (Thereby employing people to do so). They can not recover the money. The insurance company pays the bank. If the insurance company pays out enough of these expensive claims, the bank's insurance premiums go up, taking away from their 6 billion dollar profit margin at the end of the year. The bank's stock may go down slightly as a result of the shrinkage in their profit, loosing money for it's stockholders, which could include your uncle.

But that's a serious fucking stretch of the imagination.

KEEP THE MONEY. God tells you to.

Finch.

21. Finch

Finch TRIBE Member

Oh, I forgot:

#6 - People steal millions of dollars from banks across the world every year, and it doesn't seem to bring the world economy to a hault. So what could another $10,000 possibly do?

Finch.

22. joey

joey TRIBE Member

fuck!

thats like 5 minutes from my house too!!

i sooo would of kept and payed off o-crap

23. SUNKIST

SUNKIST TRIBE Member

I wouldn't give it back purely because it belonged to a bank.
    they're raking in billions of dollars a year, so what's 10 g's to them... chump change.
    Plus they armoured car company and bank both have insurance that will cover the lost cash, so no individual will be losing.
    Although the employees of the armoured car sevice will probably be reprimanded, but fuck they deserve it for droping that kind of cash in the first place.

so ya, I'd keep it.

p.s. this is not sunkist.

24. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

I agree with Ross, keep the almost.

I hear you can't shop in prison. That would truly suck. Hence the almost.

25. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

welsh git.