10,000 dollars - What would you do?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Smiley Jo, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Smiley Jo

Smiley Jo TRIBE Member

From the Toronto Star.

HAMILTON — There are a lot of things Christina Bianchi could have done with $10,000.

Buy a used car. Pay off her student loan. Pay off her credit card bills.

But instead, she took the five tidy stacks of $20 bills and gave them back to the bank that lost them.

The people at this city's Mountain Plaza CIBC branch just about cried when they got their misplaced cash bag back.

An investigation was already under way into the missing money's whereabouts, but the bank and courier company who lost it never expected the finder to do anything but keep it.

They must have thought they'd chanced upon the last honest person in the world when Bianchi walked through their doors Tuesday morning, with the money, her mom and a family friend in tow.

"They were almost on the brink of tears with joy," said her mother, Brenda.

As all that cash slipped through her fingers, Bianchi, 23, mentioned that she was in the branch last week thinking about applying for a loan. Within an hour of returning the money, a $7,000 loan was approved.

It all started early Tuesday. Bianchi pulled up to a CIBC ATM about 2 a.m., probably minutes after an armoured truck drove away with a slightly lighter load than intended.

Bianchi, a karaoke hostess at a downtown tavern, was on her way home when she stopped at her bank to pay some bills.

As she parked, she saw a package on the ground right by the curb in front of the bank's door.

The official CIBC label said it was the second of two bags with $110,000.

She drove home, waking up her parents to tell them what she'd found.

"We stared at the bag for a very long time. We just didn't know what to do."

Count it, for one. Which is when they realized they had $10,000 on their hands, with the balance likely in the first of the two bags.

Next came thoughts of what it could buy.

"Here you go dad, here's a trip to Mexico," Bianchi said, tossing a bundle of $20s his way.

Then came the guilt. What would happen to the employees who lost the money? What if she was caught spending stolen cash?

There never was any serious thought of keeping it.

Back at the bank branch, the armoured truck from Universal ATM Services had driven back to the parking lot five minutes after leaving, looking for the money missing from their pickup.

They couldn't find it.

Bianchi showed up at the branch at 11:30 a.m. the next day. "We commend you for your honesty," branch manager Gloria Rallis said yesterday on meeting her.

CIBC will be sending something in the mail to thank her soon.

And yesterday, an investigator from the courier company came to her house with a gushing letter of thanks and a $500 cash reward.

Bianchi's saving the reward. The loan will help pay off bills and buy a used car — her 1986 Toyota Tercel broke down a few weeks ago.

Well, I think that's pretty freakin amazing.
    How many here would do the same thing?
    How many people think she's crazy??

Joanna [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2002
  2. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

just when i'm totally ready to give in completely to misanthropy, a story like this comes along and renews my faith in (some) humans. :)
    it's good to hear this. i don't think she's insane. actually, i like to think i'd do the same, but i've never been faced with an amount larger than $50.

yeah, i'd do the same.

3. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

I think she's stupid for giving that money back. If it were $10,000 that belonged to an individual, or maybe even a small local company then maybe I'd give it back... but banks steal from their customers every single day. They steal from you when they charge you $1.50 to take out your own money from your account. They steal from you when they make you pay thousands of dollars in interest on a student loan. All the while they rake in billions in profits every year.

If I had found that cash and thought that I could get away with it, I would have taken the money and run without any feeling of guilt. To a bank, $10,000 is pocket change. $10,000 they probably make in a matter of hours, but to this woman it could have ridden her of all of her personal debt.

Pete

4. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

i'm positive that i would have kept the money.

but since there was a chance that the police would be hunting for whoever did.. i'd just keep the bag in a closet of my house until the heat died down and then go spend it all.

5. sentence

sentence TRIBE Promoter

commendable, but crazy.

6. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

but it is $10000 that belongs to an individual, or a small local company! yes, banks are evil, yes they rip us off, yes they make record profits by leeching off of us. but that doesn't change the fact that they're holding our money.
    that $10K is probably johnny-from-down-the-street's college money, or grandma's savings account. at least, that's how i see the issue.

7. Cheap Ego

Cheap Ego TRIBE Member

Ah.. to live in a world where the pepole decide how much of their own profits a corporation can keep.

go team progress!

8. willis

willis TRIBE Member

A kid who went to high school here once found 10,000 from the bank, he turned it in and was taunted all thru school for it. Last year he killed him self, moral? KEEP THE MONEY!

9. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Once again I aggree 100% with Subsonic.

10. stir-fry

stir-fry TRIBE Member

damn, i clicked on the link thinking "god will know what to do.. "
    and all you do is agree with someone.

sheesh

11. Smiley Jo

Smiley Jo TRIBE Member

Honesty is the best policy, but...

Man, I don't know.

There are so many things I could use that money for.
    To move out of my dungeon apartment, for my trip, for my business...

Not to mention the fact that i'm right pissed at my bank right now because i'm getting charge 30 bucks a month and up for service charges.

*sigh*

I'd probably feel like shit about it though...

Joanna [​IMG]

12. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Although I agree with your reasoning, she would have been dumb to keep it.

Banks are prety relentless when it comes to finding their cash.

I wouldn't be surprised if they would have spent $11,000 to find out where that $10,000 went. At least the girl now has rewards & stuff coming to her, and doesnt have to constantly check her back.

13. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

I think you have a good point here.... they make a little TOO much money off of us..

I was reading yesterday how scotia bank only made 50 million in the last quarter (1/4th of the year!) because they had a 540 million write-off due to the conflict in argentina..

So normally they would have made about 590 million in a few months.. thats too much profit in my eyes -- especially for a company that I'm sure has laid people off in the past year to help the bottom line.. AND .. is in the process of hiking customer rates.

2 Billion a year off of us..

I think I would keep the money too.. but if it was from anywhere other than a bank, I would definately give it back.

However - I give her a lot of respect for bringing it back and i'm glad she was given a reward and approval for a loan -- with a low rate i hope!

Cheers,

Dave

14. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

I'd keep it.... for sure. :)

there might be a trace amount of guilt but I'd get over it pretty quickly

15. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

just to add a point here..

they would have found her.

they said the security truck came back 5 minutes later -- so they knew what time it went missing within say a 10-15 minute period .. she had gone in and used the Bank machine which means they have her on camera BEING there and they know who she is because she used her card.

It would have only been a short matter of time before she was contacted and questioned.

Dave

16. Subsonic Chronic

Subsonic Chronic TRIBE Member

I disagree. Regardless of what happens to that $10,000, the money in the accounts of johnny and grandma stays the same. In exchange for hoarding all of the profits to themselves, banks must also suck up any losses and deal with them themselves.

I see banks pretty much as thieves anyway. They sure as hell don't treat you like they should considering that they're only in business because you chose to keep your money with them. They forget that it's YOUR money that they make all of THEIR money off of. They don't even need to charge you the service fees that they do, but they tack on $1.50 per transaction because they can get away with it. Someone try and explain to me how it costs them $1.50 or more for a computer to do a split-second transaction and for someone to open an envelope and count the money.

Anyway I'm just rambling and could go on for hours... gotta get back to work at this damn game of spider solitaire. :)

Pete

17. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

perhaps i've let my ideals get the best of me again. damn guilt! :eek:

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Is she a total idiot?

19. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

if you don't like banks ... don't put your money in there. keep it in a sock under your bed.

i do a lot of transactions a month with the bank - transfers, automatic withdrawals, loads of bills, personal withdrawals/deposits, credit cards, etc. most of it is automatic and/or done online and i usually only get charged about $5 a month. i think it's more of a money management problem on your part if you can't do the same. your typical personal chequing bank account is very volatile, unpredictable and almost next to nothing - the fact that the bank can make *any* interest money off of it is pretty impressive.

anyways, back to the real topic. sure the money is a drop in the bucket for the entire bank, but for the armoured truck guys it was about 10% of their delivery. those guys would've been blamed and probably fired, or at least severely reprimanded. the bills could've also been marked or serial numbers recorded so the next time they are given to a bank it may be traceable (this may be in left field here, iono how banks keep track of bills).

werd?

--craig

20. Rosey

Rosey TRIBE Member

if i found $10,000 on the ground clean i would almost certainly keep it.

if i found it after walking up to a cash machine, having my photo taken by the camera in the machine, and/or inserting my card to do a transaction, i would give it back because i would certainly be caught.

21. Silverback

Silverback TRIBE Member

I see it differently, I doubt any individual or company who uses CIBC would wake up to find they're short 10k. It is CIBC that is short the money, not anyone else.

I think I would keep it, but I don't know, I have no idea how much guilt and fear would build up. :) So I may give it back, it's not like I had it in the first place.

<-- that's just me though.

22. The Kid

The Kid TRIBE Member

I would have absolutely no problem keeping that money, banks are insured against losses like that and besides - they make too much fucking profit as it is, it would feel REALLY good keeping that!

I would probably hold off on spending it for a little while though, just in case!

23. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Return the money, then invoice them for 10 grand in service charges. :cool:

24. LoopeD

LoopeD Well-Known Member

Yeah, its directly from somebody's account....... ;)

Banks are insured - even if your accounts fall victim to fraud, you eventually get it back. What did they make in profit last year? 6 BILLION?

If a bank screws up, here's my advice:

This is a story bout Billy Joe and Bobby Sue,
    Two young lovers with nothing better to do
    than sit around the house, get high and watch the tube,
    And here's what happened when they decided to cut loose.
    They headed down to OOh Old El Paso,
    Thats where they ran into a great big hassle.
    Billy Joe shot a man while robbin his castle,
    Bobby Sue took the money and run...

GO ON, TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN
    GO ON, TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN,
    WHOO WHOO WHOO
    GO ON TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN,
    GO ON TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN!

:)d

25. Guest

Guest Guest

Sweet.