TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > House Room

FL Studio vs. Ableton Live

Old 02-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
con

FL Studio vs. Ableton Live

I wanted to try out a digital audio workstation but I don't know which program is the better one.

I play guitar and synth and I wanna make house/electronic music. Like I know Kakade uses pro tools and Deadmau5 uses ableton live. I know FL studio is easy to use but Ableton Live has like nice sounding instruments (from what i've read). Anyhow I just wanted your opinions on which you think is a better program. Thanks!
con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
zoo
TRIBE Member

ableton is also easy to use, vsts can work across platforms, and soft synths alone are generally too limiting (so don't get too hung up on the sounds of built-in instruments)
zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
TRIBE Member

i've heard FL Studio has come a long way, but if you play guitar and synth you might want to consider ableton just for the live-looping features where you can play a riff on your guitar in realtime to a beat you made, and loop it on the fly and be able to manipulate it on the fly.
dj_soo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #4

both are great and have their advantages and disadvantages. both have world class producers using them as their base sequencer(for whatever that's worth).

generally tho, Live is really good at manipulating audio, but not so much at midi, and vice versa for FL.
AshG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
both are great and have their advantages and disadvantages. both have world class producers using them as their base sequencer(for whatever that's worth).

generally tho, Live is really good at manipulating audio, but not so much at midi, and vice versa for FL.
Mike summed it up nicely. Don't look at what other people use to produce, rather select something that will best suit your abilities. I used to run Cubase SX3 but made the switch to Ableton Live about a year ago (give or take) and for me, Ableton is a better tool.

I've never used FL so I cannot say anything about it, having said that Ableton is fantastic at manipulating audio (as Mike pointed out) and offers one the ability to get very creative in their editing.
vench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
TRIBE Member

All I can say is FL has come a long way. Anyone mentioned FL 3 years ago, they'd have been laughed off the board!
physix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
TRIBE Member

If you can handle the learning curve i would use the new fruityloops 8 i find it much easier to run your return effects through the inserts on the mixer and i find it more intuitive with midi as far as controlling it with outboard gear. Plus i have a million vsti, dxi, waves whatever and they all work flawlessly in real time. I find it to be the closest thing to using outboard gear. This version also optimizes multi threading and you can use the actual program as a vsti itself through your host program.
SubMissioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMissioN View Post
If you can handle the learning curve i would use the new fruityloops 8 i find it much easier to run your return effects through the inserts on the mixer and i find it more intuitive with midi as far as controlling it with outboard gear. Plus i have a million vsti, dxi, waves whatever and they all work flawlessly in real time. I find it to be the closest thing to using outboard gear. This version also optimizes multi threading and you can use the actual program as a vsti itself through your host program.
Heres a link take a look for yourself. If you can handle it.

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s...ity_loops8.jpg
SubMissioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
TRIBE Member

i suggest both...... ableton for mixing , and fl for quick and easy sequencing.....the more programs you learn to more useful you are when collaborating,.....cheers
BConstruct is offline   Reply With Quote