TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > Guys Stuff Forum

Gym etiquette and general info.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #3026
TRIBE Member

Okay, thanks for the advice, B! I think I have a better understanding of how to proceed with SL5x5 instead of just blindly increasing weight every work out.
mrfinesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #3027
TRIBE Promoter

Glad I can help

Both of those routines aren't intended to increase weight *every* workout. that will happen at the start, as you just get comfortable to the movement. As your "noob gains" become less relevant, you might only increase every two workouts or sometimes only once a month. Both Bill Star and Mark Rippetoe are proponents of form over load.

Quote:
For young males that weigh between 150-200 lbs., deadlifts can move up 15-20 lbs. per workout, squats 10-15 lbs., with continued steady progress for 3-4 weeks before slowing down to half that rate. Bench presses, presses, and cleans can move up 5-10 lbs. per workout, with progress on these exercises slowing down to 2.5-5 lbs. per workout after only 2-3 weeks. Young women make progress on the squat and the deadlift at about the same rate, adjusted for bodyweight, but much slower on the press, the bench press, cleans, and assistance exercises.
– Mark Rippetoe, Practical Programming, Pg. 122
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #3028
TRIBE Member

Crom GRANT ME STRENGTH
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #3029
TRIBE Member

Welcome back bRO!! Stay active!

I deloaded by 10lbs today and squats went well. I was very happy with the form in the 4th and 5th sets.

Also deloaded the bench too and focused on form and noticed more tricep activation and a nice pump in them.

One step back to go two steps forward?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #3030
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfinesse View Post
Welcome back bRO!! Stay active!

I deloaded by 10lbs today and squats went well. I was very happy with the form in the 4th and 5th sets.

Also deloaded the bench too and focused on form and noticed more tricep activation and a nice pump in them.

One step back to go two steps forward?
awesome! sometimes, that's what it takes.

My triceps are smashed from my benching on tuesday, without even doing any accessory work.

wouldn't actually call that a "deload" though In terms of strength training, deloading is usually in reference to taking a week off, or a week of lifting 40-50% of your max weight. Enough to give your muscles some recovery time, and Enough to get the blood flowing. Usually done every 5-6 weeks.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #3031
TRIBE Promoter

Worked my ass off on Saturday. Barely able to walk today. Groin feels like a metal cable.

- Foam Rolling
- Split-Stance Kneeling Adductor Mobs 1x8/side
- Wall Hip Flexor Mobs 1x8/side
- Wall Ankle Mobs 1x8/side
- Squat to Stand 1x6
- Walking Spiderman w/Overhead Reach 1x5/side
- Cross-Behind Overhead Reverse Lunge 1x5/side
- No Money Drill 1x8

A1> Front Squat:
Bar : 12x1
65lbs: 10x1
95: 08x1
115: 05x1
135lbs : 03x4

A2> Pullups:
03x4

B> Speed Deadlifts:
125lbs : 02x5

C1> DB Reverse Lunges from Deficit:
2x20lbs : 08/side x 3

C2> Feet Elevated Push-up
15lb Band : 10x3

D1> Palloff Press Iso-Holds
27.5lbs : 03x03

D2>Seated Cable Row - Pronated Grip
95lbs : 10x3

E1> Split Stance Kneeling Adductor Stretch
2x30s(per side)

E2> Doorway Pec Stretch :
2x30s/side
Old 06-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #3032
TRIBE Member

present wheels workout:

Squat 355x11
Front Squat 245x11
Stiff Leg Deadlift 275x11
Reverse Hyper 45x10
Donkey Calf Raise 700x11
Standing Leg Curl 80x9
Seated Calf Raise 200x8
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #3033
TRIBE Member

so my gym sent an email out to all members talking about gym etiquette. There has been a lot of B.O lately and this is the 2nd email she's sent reminding people to change their clothes haha. I kind of know who it is and I think he does change, he just sweats a lot.

I also won $50 gift card to lululemon from the gym.. they had a work out challenge and i won bc i work out a lot. booya!
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #3034
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Eye View Post
so my gym sent an email out to all members talking about gym etiquette. There has been a lot of B.O lately and this is the 2nd email she's sent reminding people to change their clothes haha. I kind of know who it is and I think he does change, he just sweats a lot.

I wish my gym would send out letters. The locker room smells like a sweaty nut sack on some days.
Bumbaclat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #3035
TRIBE Promoter

But, someones B/O, especially the particularly offensive kinds, doesn't necessary improve with showering and clothes.

Some people will have a strong pungent smell, and it's due to something wrong with their body chemistry.

It really sucks for those people, and people around them. (we have one here at work.)
Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #3036
TRIBE Member

besides jacking off, how can I improve my grip? I used to wear gloves so my hands are a bit softer but now I'd rather get the calluses going again. Also, is there an alternative to chalk?
Old 06-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #3037
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfinesse View Post
besides jacking off, how can I improve my grip? I used to wear gloves so my hands are a bit softer but now I'd rather get the calluses going again. Also, is there an alternative to chalk?
The optimal method is With exercises that force you to use your grip....Deads, Rows, Shrugs. Doing things like farmers walks, and simply picking heavy things up and holding on to them. Using a towel for pull-ups and rows. (People i know with strong grips have never seena day in the gym, but they do manual labour.)

Read this for good ideas: Bodybuilding.com - Get To Grips With Hand Strength: Develop Your Grip.

Why need an alternative for chalk? Chalk is awesome, and if your gym won't let you use chalk - then they don't care about your safety. And, if they don't care about your safety, you need a new gym.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #3038
TRIBE Member

I never use wrist wraps, never, and ever since my grip strength has dramatically increased.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 AM   #3039
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
I never use wrist wraps, never, and ever since my grip strength has dramatically increased.
yep. They're usefull if you're lifting powerlifter numbers, and you're no longer able to maintain your grip on huge numbers.

If lifting one plate is being affected by your grip - you just need to lift a plate a few more times.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #3040
TRIBE Member

regarding the chalk alternative, cuz I don't wanna vacuum after a work-out lol. Improving grip will help me palm a basketball?

Last edited by mrfinesse; 06-13-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #3041
TRIBE Promoter

Ah, right - you're training at home.

in that case, no chalk is honestly the best thing for grip. I mean, you can be a bad-ass gladiator and use the the sand of the arena - but that won't do much for keeping your flat clean.

yes, grip will help you palm a basketball - as long as your fingers are long enough
Old 06-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #3042
TRIBE Member

Chest day roar!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #3043
TRIBE Member

An update on my diet (or, refereed to as a post-menopausal woman's diet...LOL)

Breakfast,

Protein Shake - granola w/berries & plain Greek yogurt

Mid morning snack - Pineapple & cottage cheese

Before workout snack - veggie bar & banana

*Workout

right after - Protein shake

Lunch - usually chicken & quinoa, beef stir fry - something like that

Dinner - fish/steak/chicken with salad

Shake before bed.

I'm 6ft - 230 lbs - wanna lose weight but maintain my muscle.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #3044
TRIBE Member

seems to be a bit lacking... lol at post menopausal women..

what about complex carbs? Not sure if you are trying to do the low carb thing, but I would cut out granola (too much hidden fat) and add oatmeal, or toast with all natural almond butter / penut butter, and for lunch / dinner I would add stuff like brown rice with lentils, and maybe some roasted sweet potato, and alot more vegg to fill up on. I'm still on the fence with Quinoa. It's ok mixed with things like quinoa Taboulil (sp?) but on it's own bleh

why so many protein shakes? Are these shakes you are making in the blender with soy milk fruit and flax seed (or equivalant) or are they store bought? is it because you want more protein? I would try the meat alternatives for protein, ie, humus with veggies to dip in it, or beans (like a bean salad) or even soy / tofu.

What is a veggie bar?

I use protein bars when I'm on a long bike ride, or when I get home from a long bike ride but not in my everyday diet. They are conveniant but tast like sawdust, I would much rather eat real food.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #3045
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post

what about complex carbs? Not sure if you are trying to do the low carb thing, but I would cut out granola (too much hidden fat) and add oatmeal, or toast with all natural almond butter / penut butter, and for lunch / dinner I would add stuff like brown rice with lentils, and maybe some roasted sweet potato, and alot more vegg to fill up on. I'm still on the fence with Quinoa. It's ok mixed with things like quinoa Taboulil (sp?) but on it's own bleh

why so many protein shakes? Are these shakes you are making in the blender with soy milk fruit and flax seed (or equivalant) or are they store bought? is it because you want more protein? I would try the meat alternatives for protein, ie, humus with veggies to dip in it, or beans (like a bean salad) or even soy / tofu.

What is a veggie bar?

I use protein bars when I'm on a long bike ride, or when I get home from a long bike ride but not in my everyday diet. They are conveniant but tast like sawdust, I would much rather eat real food.
Well, I'm taking 3 shakes a day because at 230lbs, it's a real struggle to get 230 grms of protien into me each day...I work out 6 days a week so I need it.

Shakes are always made with water.

Veggie bar is; Progressive Vege Greens Protein Bar 'Box' - www.supplementscanada.com

The granola I get is all natural - any sugar is all natural - nothing added

I LOVE quinoa - it's bland on it's own but I find it adapts to whatever your cooking/eating it with

I usually eat hummus at every dinner...my dinners are not set in stone...it's always going to be one good protien with some a salad (Cale, spinach, tomatoes, pumpkin seeds etc) or sweet potato - or brown rice & veg

I'm trying to limit my carb but only after around 7pm...want to try to give myself at least 3+hrs of not eating before I go to bed...with the exception of a slow release protien shake around 10ish.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #3046
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post

What is a veggie bar?

This.

But what matters is if it is working for you or not.. My 2 cents.

I would cut the bar and banana and have a nice full meal about 90 mins before workout.. my workouts suck without a good meal. Maybe something easy to digest like fish, and have some quality carbs, like sweet potato. If I try to cram something in to close to the workout, it is like i never even ate (as far as energy wise) and i just feel bloated. This may or may not work for you though.

You could keep the shake after workout, but get another good meal in about 1 hr and 1/2 after.

If you want to low carb it, try some some quality fats and meats with every meal.

Find out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and try eating a bit under that (a couple hundred calories) and see what happens.. it does not look like you are eating enough calories, but again, I don't know your stats.

Real food is king. Don't forget your veggies!

Some people might have a different opinion, and that is ok, but this is what has been working for me

Jay
xtcfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #3047
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage View Post
An update on my diet (or, refereed to as a post-menopausal woman's diet...LOL)

Breakfast,

Protein Shake - granola w/berries & plain Greek yogurt

Mid morning snack - Pineapple & cottage cheese

Before workout snack - veggie bar & banana

*Workout

right after - Protein shake

Lunch - usually chicken & quinoa, beef stir fry - something like that

Dinner - fish/steak/chicken with salad

Shake before bed.

I'm 6ft - 230 lbs - wanna lose weight but maintain my muscle.
hey, that's my line

As for my opinion? it's not the best diet - but you can definitely do better. You haven'nt mentioned how much of everything you eat, so it's hard to determine if you're getting enough calories. If you're eating pretty big portions, you might be okay. If you're eating pretty small, you can really be under.

but my analysis:

- Protein: If you want to maintain the muscle mass, you might even need more then 230g. You're a big dude, and typical amount to maintain muscle mass during hypertrophic training is 1.5g per LB of bodyweight.

-Sugar : Sugar is Sugar is Sugar. It doesn't matter if it's table sugar, evaporated cane juice, evaporated beat juice or honey. Natural or not - it's still got fructose - and that fructose will make it difficult for you to burn fat. If you want sugar, keep it to dextrose and maltrodextrin, and keep it for your Post-work out shake. (even 10-15 minutes before is idea, so that you're spiking you insulin and forcing your body into a anabolic state). Your granola is high in sugar, guaranteed... unless you're buying sugar free. Pineapple is also very high in sugar. Even moreso if you're buyin canned. If you're going fresh it's a tad better - but you can do better here. Strawberries, Blackberries or Blueberries are a much better choice.

-Other Carbs: Granola isn't an ideal carb. Try to switch this up to any of Nature's Choice lines of cereals that are low-sugar. They're tasty, they're whole grain and their higher in fiber then granola. That being said,

-Quinoa is awesome. eat it every day if you can. For those who are still on the fence about it - you simply need a few good recipies. I'll post one below that will likey become your go-to recipe. But, as a hint, don't make it with water. Make it with low-sodium broth. Use can also use spices like all-spice and finish it off with thyme.

-Shakes : Drop the third shake at night and eat real food. You need something more filling and with more nutrition thena protein shake.

Bringing us to, Fiber. A few handuflulls of all-bran or something else high fiber is a good idea, epsecially at the end of the day. This will also help slow down the protein absorption. Your fiber intake is also low for someone who's eating so much protein. The recommended daily fiber intake is about 35g. But, that's for people who eat a normal amount of protein. Since your protein is up, your fiber should be too.

And lastly...

Fats : you've got little to no healthy fats mentioned. If you're not doing it yet - supplement with fish oil. 5-10g a day. Use lots of olive oil, eat half an avocado a day, and eat lots of nuts (almonds and walnuts are nmost beneficial, but a good mix won't hurt)

Why are you so concerned about eating before you sleep? If you're working out 6 times a week - there's absolutely no reason to buy into the "don't eat before bed' idea. You're burning a fuckton of calories if you're doing anythign worth while in the gym. It's more important to get the nutrition you need then to not eat before bed.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #3048
TRIBE Promoter

My quinoa recipe:

Quote:
Mediterranean Quinoa "Pilaf"

1 cup quinoa
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced and roughly chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
2 cups chicken bouillon (or vegetable)
1 cup coarsely chopped spinach leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Place quinoa in a fine sieve and rinse under cold running water. Reserve. (Rinsing the quinoa removes a bitter film covering the grain.)

Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions ^ garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Add quinoa and stir to coat well with butter. Pour in c bouillon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Stir in spinach, and mint, and allow to warm through. Add feta cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir.

You can do all kinds of different things that are similar to the above. Switch up the fresh herbs, drop the goat cheese, add pieces of roasted veggies . The major thing is that you're cooking it pilaf style (starting it off with the onions and garlic and using broth - this will will fill your quinoa with flavor, and enhance the natural flavors)
Old 06-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #3049
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtcfreak View Post
This.
I would cut the bar and banana and have a nice full meal about 90 mins before workout.. my workouts suck without a good meal. Maybe something easy to digest like fish, and have some quality carbs, like sweet potato. If I try to cram something in to close to the workout, it is like i never even ate (as far as energy wise) and i just feel bloated. This may or may not work for you though.
absolutely nothing wrong with a banana right before a workout. in fact, it's highly recommended. The potassium will help keep you hydrated and reduce the chance of any type of cramps/spasms, and the quick acting carbs will give you the energy you need for your workout.

Last edited by Bacchus; 06-14-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #3050
TRIBE Member

Bacchus - and a GREAT line at that!

The granola I eat is Nature's Path

I also forgot to mention that I do have a spoonful of, I forget what it's called but it's good fats...omega 3, something like that.

I always cook with extra virgin olive oil & I do incorporate nuts (almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds) wherever I can.

Are you saying cut out pineapple all together? I always thought it was a super fruit, very good for you.

My portions are not huge, I'd say average to slightly above average sized.

The shake before bed (slow release protien, diff from the one I take during the day) was recommended to me by a nutritionist as a great way to help my body recover during the evening.

I have my shake directly after working out and 60-90 min later, I'll have a proper meal. I used to do things the other way around but the nutritionist said I'm missing my "window" so take a shake right after (I used to make my shake with skim milk & banana but was told to cut that out, just have it with water as it will take the least amount of time to digest).

The 3rd shake at night and not eating late (after 7pm when I go to bed 11:00pm ish - 1:00am ish) is to avoid the food just sitting in my gut all night...the shake (I thought) gives me just what i need before I go to bed.

Bacchus, please don't take this the wrong way but what's your background in all this? I've read a lot of posts from you & you know your shit!!