Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > Guys Stuff Forum

Gym etiquette and general info.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #2951
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Yesterday's Routine Nuked me.
You liking the 'Show and Go'?

I'm no gym rat and have never really done a formal program before. But closing in only on week 4 of phase 1 now, and I've been quite pleased with how this program is working. More improvement in the last 3 weeks than in the previous 6 months of random cardio and strength machine use.

Although your numbers tell me that I obviously have some more room to improve!
Re: Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #2952
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re: Shoe View Post
You liking the 'Show and Go'?

I'm no gym rat and have never really done a formal program before. But closing in only on week 4 of phase 1 now, and I've been quite pleased with how this program is working. More improvement in the last 3 weeks than in the previous 6 months of random cardio and strength machine use.

Although your numbers tell me that I obviously have some more room to improve!

Yeah, im doing my own poached routines from his 2 day workout right now.

I did the whole program 1-4 on a 4 day routine last year. Some of the best improvements i've ever made, in such a short period. I'm a huge backer of Eric Cressy, and his philosophies. (if you read back a few pages you might see ;S

Yeah, most "strength machines' are shit. Eric trains functional movements, and balance.

Are you doing the three or four day? Are you DT? I'd love to work with someone with the same kind of format

Last edited by Bacchus; 03-24-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #2953
TRIBE Member

It's 4.5 hours later and I still can't move my arms. Today's circuit work out literally had me almost puking. I went outside in the cool air to get some fresh air. I kept burping to make myself feel better.

We had 8 exercises and had to do them 4 times.. (15 reps, 20 reps, 20 reps, 15 reps)..
we had 30 seconds to do each exercise.. then a ton of ab work.

so tired. My coach asked me after the practice if it feels like im getting stronger bc he said he can tell in my arms and my back awesome! It's only been 2.5 months of doing this!
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 AM   #2954
TRIBE Member

I don't go to the gym, but just to body weight stuff at home and am looking for some more quick options if anybody has any, specifically stuff to help with leg/lower body as most of what I get down there comes from riding a bike, which I don't get to do every day. I've seen some results, but would like some tips about what kind of additional exercises I can do, I have a pull-up bar which I use, and a mat, nothing else...

Currently I go for 20 pull-ups, 80 sit-ups, 50 push-ups, then as many chin-ups as I can manage afterwards, usually in the 15-20 range. Twice a day. I try to ride my bike for an hour every day, or hike for about 60-90 minutes a day with a 50-60lb pack for cardio/lower body, but yeah, looking for anything else I can do at home. Thanks.
skin deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #2955
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re: Shoe View Post
More improvement in the last 3 weeks than in the previous 6 months of random cardio and strength machine use.
This is what I'm experiencing now (little gains from random workouts). I feel like my gym routine lacks a plan and definitely lacks quality. I don't even know where to start. Currently I spend a lot of time on the elliptical and that has been good for my belly. I then use random weight machines with no thought to muscle groups or even using the same machines consistently each week. I use the strength machines because I hate asking for spots from strangers and I can guarantee my form is terrible with free weights. I don't even know how to do a squat but I'd like to. Ideally I'd like to get away from the strength machines and have a plan but I feel liked need guidance out of the woods.

I've been trying to read as much as possible on the Internet and the information I've found is disorganized and contradictory. One official looking website will say "always do x, it is proven science". The next official looking website will say "x is horrible, science has proven it". Don't even get me started on Yahoo Answers.

I used the free 2 hour trainer session (Goodlife) to try and get a plan set up but it was basically an advertisement for their $7,000/year personal training.

Please share some advice!
Bumbaclat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #2956
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skin deep View Post
I don't go to the gym, but just to body weight stuff at home and am looking for some more quick options if anybody has any, specifically stuff to help with leg/lower body as most of what I get down there comes from riding a bike, which I don't get to do every day. I've seen some results, but would like some tips about what kind of additional exercises I can do, I have a pull-up bar which I use, and a mat, nothing else...

Currently I go for 20 pull-ups, 80 sit-ups, 50 push-ups, then as many chin-ups as I can manage afterwards, usually in the 15-20 range. Twice a day. I try to ride my bike for an hour every day, or hike for about 60-90 minutes a day with a 50-60lb pack for cardio/lower body, but yeah, looking for anything else I can do at home. Thanks.
You're going to be limited to the amount of lower leg work that you can do without body weights. For someone who's done as much cycling as that, bodyweight leg exercises are going to be few and far between. You can give the 1leg/pistol suqat a try though.

My suggestions is pick up some Kettlebells. You can use them for conditioning as much as strength training, and with them you can do the following exercises.

-Single Leg Deadlift (posted a few pages back, here Gym etiquette and general info.)

Look into variations as well. you can do it with weight in both hands, and when doing so you're working more hip-drive then balance.

-Lateral Squat : Leg Exercises & Workouts : How to Do Lateral Squats - YouTube

-Goblet Squat :How To: Kettlebell Goblet Squat - YouTube

-Bulgarian Lunge : DB Bulgarian Split Squats - YouTube (once you can do this, you can put your front leg up on something too, and get an even bigger deficit.

Also, remember - to make anything more challenging on body weight, slow down your tempo! Work the eccentric motion, aim for a slow 3 second negative and an explosive movement.

Drop the 50 pushups. That many pushups is useless. Instead, do pushups with your feet elevated or with a band around your back , making it much more difficult. Again, aim for a slow 3 second decent and a powerful push back up. If you do that with your feet raises - you should find 12 to be difficult. if you dont, raise your feet higher.

Drop the situps, and do planks and various roll-out progressions. If you don't have an ab-roller, get one. it's the single best piece of exercise equipment ever sold for home use...and it works. If you've dont got the strength to do one good roll-out, progressions. You might need to start with a yoga ball like he does in this video, but this is better core work then

I posted lots of videos and links to roll outs and plank progressions here Gym etiquette and general info.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #2957
TRIBE Promoter

I've long talked about the Myths of eating smaller meals more often, but here's a good article on the fact.

Quote:
The Truth About Meal Frequency: Is Intermittent Fasting for You?

Written on March 26, 2012 at 7:46 am, by Eric Cressey

Today’s guest nutrition blog comes from former Cressey Performance intern Tyler Simmons.

“It’s best to eat 5 – 7 times a day.”

“Eating every three hours fuels your metabolism.”

“If you skip meals, your body goes into ‘starvation mode,’ you gain fat, and burn muscle for energy.”

Chances are that you’ve probably heard something like the above statements if you’ve read anything about diet or exercise in the last ten years. Many of you (myself included) probably spent a lot of time preparing and eating meals, in the hopes of optimizing fat loss and better muscle gain.

What does the data really show about spacing out your meals? When I started researching the topic of meal frequency in 2010, I assumed there was ample scientific evidence to back up these nearly unanimous claims that smaller, more frequent meals were better than larger, less frequent meals. Boy, was I disappointed.

To my surprise, the scientific literature had some different things to say. My research focused on how changing meal frequency impacts two different things: 1) Metabolic Rate and 2) Weight Loss. What I found was compelling evidence that reduced meal frequency, sometimes known as Intermittent Fasting (IF), could actually help me, so I started an experiment.

In the summer of 2010 I was living in Alaska doing construction and labor, as well as doing off-season training for Track and Field (sprinting, jumping, and lifting). For years I had focused on eating every 2-3 hours, but based on my new findings, I decided to limit all omy food intake to an 8-hour window, leaving 16 hours of the day as my fasting portion.

Despite doing fasted, hard labor all day, then lifting, sprinting, and playing basketball, I managed to set records on all my lifts at the end of the summer. Not only was I stronger than ever, but I got leaner too.

Here’s pictures from before and after, about 2 months apart:

[image]http://www.ericcressey.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/tyler-simmons-before-300x285.jpg[/image]

Getting lean wasn’t even my main goal; the idea that I could be free from eating every three hours without suffering negative side effects was extremely liberating. No longer was I controlled by arbitrary meal times and tupperware meals in a lunch box. During this summer, I developed the ability to go long periods of time (18-24 hours) without food, and not get tired, cranky, our mentally slow down.

So why didn’t I catabolize my muscles, drop my metabolic rate, and end up looking like skinny-fat Richard Simmons (no relation)?

The Science

The idea that eating several smaller meals is better came from a few pieces of information. The first was because of an association between greater meal frequency and reduced body weight in a couple of epidemiological studies, although this only shows a correlation, not causation. Breakfast eaters are more likely to engage in other health activities, such as exercise, which explains the relationship. In the most comprehensive review of relevant studies, the authors state that any epidemiological evidence for increased meal-frequency is extremely weak and “almost certainly represents an artefact” (1).

The second piece is related to the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF), which is the amount of energy needed to digest and process the food you eat. Fortunately, this is dependent on total quantity of food, not on how it’s spaced, making the distinction irrelevant.

So, now we can see that the supposed benefits from increased meal frequency do not hold up to closer inspection, but why would we want to purposefully wait longer in between meals?

Originally, researchers thought Caloric Restriction (CR) was the bee’s knees. Preliminary research showed that CR slows aging, reduces oxidative damage, and reduces insulin and levels. All good, right? Unfortunately, these benefits come with some nasty trade-offs, including reduced metabolic rate, low energy levels, constant hunger, and low libido, pretty much what you would expect from chronically restricting food intake. These were not happy animals.

ecent research has shown that Intermittent Fasting or reduced meal frequency can convey many of the benefits of CR while avoiding the negative side effects. Some of these benefits include:

Favorable changes to blood lipids
Reduced blood pressure
Decreased markers of inflammation
Reduction in oxidative stress
Increased Growth Hormone release
Greater thermogenesis/elevated metabolic rate
Improved fat burning
Improved appetite control
Some of these effects may be secondary to the reduction of calories due to improved appetite control, or they may be primary effects of IF, the research is not conclusive on this yet.

One of the most interesting findings was that contrary to conventional wisdom, reduced meal frequency actually causes an increase in thermogenesis (metabolic rate), which is mediated through the increase of catecholamines (stress hormones), such as adrenaline and norepinephrine (1,2). Yep, you read that right: instead of slowing your metabolism down, it speeds it up. Catecholamines also help with the liberation of fatty acids from fat cells, making them available to be burned as energy.

That’s the “why” and the “how” for some of the effects of IF. Whatever the mechanism for it, IF seems to be effective for at least some people, myself included. But before you rush off to go start fasting 16 hours a day, here are some tips and caveats.

Important Considerations

Many people ask me if IF is good or bad, but as with most things, it depends. IF is not appropriate in certain situations. It can be good or bad, depending on who you are (your current health status/lifestyle) and what your goals are. IF is a stressor on the body; one of the primary effects is an increase in stress hormones. If you’re lacking sleep, eating low quality foods, stressed out about your job, and excessively exercising then don’t start an IF protocol. It will backfire and you will end up fat and tired!

Only experiment with an IF program if you are getting 8-9 hours of sleep a night, eating a high quality diet, appropriately recovering from exercise, and don’t have too many mental/emotional stressors.

As far as what goals this works for, common sense applies here. IF is generally best for people who are already moderately lean and are trying to get leaner. If you’re trying to put on 30 pounds of mass, don’t start IF. If you’re an athlete with a very heavy training load, don’t try IF.

For those of you who fit the criteria of goals and health status, I suggest experimenting with the 8-hour fed/16-hour fasted periods. Eat quality foods to satiation in your eating window, especially focusing on the post-training period.

Keep in mind that IF is not for everyone, but it can be a powerful tool at certain times. Most importantly, even if IF isn’t for you, remember that you shouldn’t stress out if you miss a meal occasionally!
more on IF

Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #2958
TRIBE Member

Quote:

Hi, I am no expert, but I do a fair amount of cycling (road, mostly long rides). I find the cyclilng only works some of the leg muscles, so you can easily get imbalanced.

Do you have stairs in your house?
You can do some calve raises (stand on the bottom stair facing up the stairs, let your heels hang off the stair, then raise up on yout tip toes, then all the way down so your heel is lower then the stair, repear until exhaustion, maybe 25 times?)

Do you have an excersize ball?

I would use the excercise ball for your abs. If it much more effective them crunches on the floor. There are many different ab excercises using the ball, look them up online, but you should do regular abs, obliques, reverse crunches holding the ball between your ankles, roll outs etc. And do more varried, ie. 10 normal, 10 oblilgues (each side 10) repeat 3 times.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #2959
TRIBE Member

Quote:

Download the plyometric portion of P90X. It's all lower body and is geared for home workouts.

That will be more than sufficient given your current inventory of stuff at hand.

Though, I think the person living below you may or may not hate you as they might hear a lot of banging and such when your feet hit the ground.
the_fornicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #2960
TRIBE Promoter

^ yeah, plyometrics are a great solution if he's looking to up his cardio and anaerobic activity.

But, if he's looking to strength train - adding exercises that force stability through training one side a time, is an idea way of increasing resistance while still going free-weight
Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #2961
TRIBE Member

Monday, off circuits and back to my new (old) routine, should be interesting to see how I make out. I still cant believe my strength has now passed my old max's in some areas, all while during circuits. Im completely gassed however, and asleep by 8pm, sore all over. However, feeling good this morning. Diet is nicely dialed in for recovery. Im hoping when I switch my routine I am able to blow passed any max's I used to be able to lift.
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #2962
TRIBE Member

Location: anxiously waiting for the latest Glomobi pickup lines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbaclat View Post
This is what I'm experiencing now (little gains from random workouts). I feel like my gym routine lacks a plan and definitely lacks quality. I don't even know where to start. Currently I spend a lot of time on the elliptical and that has been good for my belly. I then use random weight machines with no thought to muscle groups or even using the same machines consistently each week. I use the strength machines because I hate asking for spots from strangers and I can guarantee my form is terrible with free weights. I don't even know how to do a squat but I'd like to. Ideally I'd like to get away from the strength machines and have a plan but I feel liked need guidance out of the woods.

I've been trying to read as much as possible on the Internet and the information I've found is disorganized and contradictory. One official looking website will say "always do x, it is proven science". The next official looking website will say "x is horrible, science has proven it". Don't even get me started on Yahoo Answers.

I used the free 2 hour trainer session (Goodlife) to try and get a plan set up but it was basically an advertisement for their $7,000/year personal training.

I wss in the same boat as you. I was doing a 4 day split bodybuilding routine that a well-intentioned friend came up with. I didn't really make any progress on it and got fed up and read about a program called Starting Strength. I switched to that last September and iI have added 200lb to my squat, 250lb to my deadlift and 80lb to my bench press

It os a very simple program designed for strength gain based around barbell exercises on a 2 day split with a little bit of weight added to the bar each workout. The basics of the program are outlined free on the unofficial Starting Strength wiki (Starting Strength Wiki) but if you are struggling with form i would definitely pick up the book - there is more info on form in there than you will ever need to know.
technowelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #2963
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:

Can't believe I missed this post.

Firstly - what are your goals? Loose weight? Put on Weight?

You're good on doing cardio on the eliptical - but i cant totally undestand wher you're coming from by not having a routine or being comfortable with free weights.

My best suggestion - JUST DO IT. Jump in. i've posted mutliple videos both from a training an bio-mechanical standpoint on squats. You should be able to watch those videos and not hurt yourself. yeah, a spot is nice to have, but you don't need to lift until you fail. And if you're not lifting until you fail, you're fine without the spotter.

The above suggestion for Bill Star's Starting Strength was a great idea, if you're looking to get stronger. Bill Wendler's 5/3/1 is also a great idea if you're looking for a strength training program.

The internet can be a great source of information if you know where to look. Yahoo answers, as you've learned is most definitely not one of them.

Do you still go to Goodlife? I'm not a pro trainer, but if you're looking for someone to work out with for a few days and get a good idea on form - then i'd be happy to help
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #2964
TRIBE Member

Quote:

Well I'm no pro, but I can just relay my own experiences in terms of what seems to be working for me.

- Are you going regularly? If you're an office worker like myself, schedule it in your calendar 3x / week and make it a priority to get to the gym - if you have more office work to do, do it later at night - there's no way you'd be at the gym then.

- Just having a program to follow and writing it down made a difference for me. Seeing what I did last week vs. 2 weeks ago, etc., was good motivation to add another 5 or 10 pounds for this week - or at least do as well as last time around.

- After the summer I started eating less crap (and drinking less beer, sadly) and did lots of elliptical. This helped me lose belly fat (good) but I didn't really make any strength gains. Now I'm actually trying to eat more protein and "fuel" food for the strength workouts. My weight on the scale isn't really changing much, but I feel leaner.

- I'm doing Eric Cressey's 'Show and Go' routine. I chose it because it seemed like a full-body program geared for overall strength, and because Bacchus posted a link a while ago where I downloaded it from. Link has since gone dead (but PM me and I can email it to you if you want it).

- I also don't have spotters - I like to work out alone, and the gym in my office building is often empty. For most of the exercises it's made no difference in safety in not having a spotter - I can just drop the dumbbell if needed. For a few exercises it's suboptimal - e.g., for bench and squats I have to use a Smith machine (unfortunately there is no power rack to use). So I know a free movement squat would be better than a squat on the Smith machine, but I can live with it.

- I agree with your view that a lot of the Internet info being disorganized and contradictory - especially with respect to what kind of a program you should do, how many sets/reps, what/when to eat, etc. However, once you've found a program to follow (e.g., 'Show and Go' says to do Exercise X for Y sets and Z reps), you can look up the proper form for Exercise X and the Internet material is a lot better. For example - if you do a search for proper deadlift technique you'll find that there's a lot better consistent information regardless of the source - since proper technique is based on fundamental human anatomy and not just the latest fitness craze. When you go to the gym, it's just a matter of remembering the proper form and sticking to it. No doubt a personal trainer would help you improve technique (if they are actually well-qualified and good at their job - no guarantee there) - but from doing some reading and watching videos I feel confident that I'm doing each movement at least 90% correct. Actually one thing that I'm considering doing is to book a single 1- or 2-hour session with an extremely qualified trainer (maybe someone at U of T?), go through all of the exercises that I'm working on with minimal weights, and have them assess/correct technique.

----

Bear in mind that I'm no athlete, and a stranger would probably describe me as "tall & skinny" but definitely not as "ripped" - although my wife says (and I agree) that I look more muscular than ever. I want to be in good shape to do fun sporty things (snowboarding with my kids in winter; canoe trip in the summer), look half-decent at the beach, and stay in good overall health so that I live a long time with few problems. I'm going to give the program I'm on the full 16-week effort and then re-evaluate from there.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #2965
TRIBE Promoter

^ Well said, and good words of encouragement!

+1 for Show & Go. One of the most useful parts of the program is the Bonus document with all the links to his private Vimeo videos. Everything is there, from stretches and prehab to weight lifting and conditioning exercises
Old 04-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #2966
TRIBE Member

Well.. today i have my fitness test.. i'm a wee bit nervous.

Bench Press half my weight, as many reps as i can in 2 minutes
Bench Pull half my weight, as many reps as i can in 2 minutes
Pull ups, as many as i can do in 2 minutes (i can only do 1, maybe 1.5 lol)..

We get a 25 minute break between each routine, so that's good.

Friday i did:
110 Push ups
100 Body Rows
120 Leg overs
30 Pull ups (with the gravitron machine)
45 dips
100 Kayak Punches with 5lb Dumbbell
150 RUTS

I literally couldn't lift up my arms for the rest of the day. I'm still a wee bit sore in the shoulder/chest area from all the push ups.

This week the amount that I have to do goes up.. so not looking forward to it lol
Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #2967
TRIBE Member

so i'm back from my fitness test. I did pretty well for my first one.
It was really nerve-wrecking bc we all sat there watching as one girl goes up to do the Bench press.. and what not.. There was no talking, just quiet and some cheers and words of encouragement were said.

My coach had a digital scale in hte middle of hte room and one by one we had to go up and do a weight in and then he wrote on the whiteboard our order and grouped us by weight that we will be lifting..

So I had to do 70lbs..argh.

I managed to do only 17 reps at 70lbs for the Bench Press, 17 reps at 70lbs for the Bench Pull and what the best and most surprising was that I could do 8 pull ups!! UNASSISTED! woohoo!.. okay well I did 3 in a row and then we actually were allowed to get down and shake our arms out and then continue.. we have 2 minutes.

There was one girl freaking knocked away 35 pull ups! Amazing.

What was also hilarious was this one girl had to do 80lbs and while on the bench pull in between gasps of air she says 'I really need to lose weight' lol

Last edited by Hawk Eye; 04-01-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #2968
TRIBE Member

Hit a PB yesterday.

225lbs flat barbell bench press for 15 reps sans spot. Did it fairly easily, too. Reckon I *might* have hit 16 or 17 with a spot, but since I didn't have one, I didn't want to risk crushing my face in on a Sunday.

Boom goes the dynamite.
the_fornicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #2969
TRIBE Member

Progress update for myself.

Weight is hovering around 154 now. Since getting off of the calorie deficient diet, my strength has returned and have been able to add weight to like 90% of the exercises.
Shoulder issue for the most part is gone (thanks bacchus for those eric cressey shoulder things vids) except when I finish shoulder press and have to get the dumbbells to the ground. When I rotate shoulder to drop dumbbells, there's this click in the shoulder.

Taking the week off and gonna read starting strength. I started watching the dvd of starting strength: basic barbell. Only watched the deadlift portion so far a few weeks ago and my deadlift has been increasing every week.
mrfinesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #2970
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Firstly - what are your goals? Loose weight? Put on Weight?
Lose weight is primary (for now). Build muscle is secondary.

Quote:
Do you still go to Goodlife? I'm not a pro trainer, but if you're looking for someone to work out with for a few days and get a good idea on form - then i'd be happy to help
PM sent!
Bumbaclat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #2971
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfinesse View Post
Progress update for myself.

Weight is hovering around 154 now. Since getting off of the calorie deficient diet, my strength has returned and have been able to add weight to like 90% of the exercises.
Shoulder issue for the most part is gone (thanks bacchus for those eric cressey shoulder things vids) except when I finish shoulder press and have to get the dumbbells to the ground. When I rotate shoulder to drop dumbbells, there's this click in the shoulder.

Taking the week off and gonna read starting strength. I started watching the dvd of starting strength: basic barbell. Only watched the deadlift portion so far a few weeks ago and my deadlift has been increasing every week.
Mostly all awesome stuff!

(i say mostly awesome, because that shoulder problem is not cool!) Don't rotate your shoulder to drop the dumbell! I'm not sure if you're dropping them directly on the ground, but that's a pretty hard shock to the shoulder. You should be tucking your elbows together and lightly putting the weight down on your lap.

If you do this, and you're still getting a click = switch to a push-press.

With the push press, you're going to use a it of momentum from the hips to get the weight up. Also, you can use a much more controlled lowering technique too. Don't go too low, it's not a squat.

Good job on the Deads.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #2972
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Lose weight is primary (for now). Build muscle is secondary.
cool. well, as you might have heard said before - the weightloss is 90% what you eat. You burn more then you eat, you loose weight - regardless of what you do for exercise. In the end, you can do the same workouts to get to both means, but taking shorter breaks to maintain a heart rate is going to be more beneficial if you're trying to lose weight. As opposed to larger rest periods that allow your CNS to recover, and thus push more weight being of more benefit for hypertrophic growth.

On the plus side, if your weight training hasn't been effective - you'll find that even as you loose weight, you'll build a bit of muscle and see huge gains at the start (commonly referred to as "noob gains")
Old 04-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #2973
TRIBE Member

I love push press's, its what I start my circuits with, then move to falt dumbell bench, then squats, then straight to dumbell curls, and finally, bent over rows. Gassed
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #2974
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
I love push press's, its what I start my circuits with, then move to falt dumbell bench, then squats, then straight to dumbell curls, and finally, bent over rows. Gassed

+1.

It's so much better for your shoulders too. it's a pretty common misconception that isolation is needed, especially for noobs.

I forgot to add in my original, because of the ease on the concentric (up) motion of the push press, it becomes even more important for a controlled decent.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #2975
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfinesse View Post
Shoulder issue for the most part is gone (thanks bacchus for those eric cressey shoulder things vids) except when I finish shoulder press and have to get the dumbbells to the ground.
Any links to the shoulder help stuff? I have pretty poor mobility there; I've always been terrible at shoulder press.