TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > Guys Stuff Forum

Gym etiquette and general info.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #2851
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfinesse View Post
I'll check it out on tomorrow, lots of videos and reading to do. LOL at one of the pics though, jan 02 post there's this granny lifting. If that's 2 45s + an olympic bar...that's more than me...
yep. Mark Rippitoe is the US Olympic lifting coach, and a NCAA champion coach.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #2852
TRIBE Member

Just want to announce that I did my first ever pull up. The one with your hands over the bars and you are using your back muscles. My coach gave me a handshake lol.
Now i have to get stronger so i can do 10 in a row
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #2853
TRIBE Promoter

congrats, mel!

Definitely something to be proud of. it's quite the feat!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #2854
TRIBE Member

So, I've been trying to push 225lbs on flat barbell bench for a while now and finally did it!

My friend took a vid of it.

Baller, son.
the_fornicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #2855
TRIBE Member

I did squats today! Wasn't as bad as I thought...

mrfinesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #2856
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
congrats, mel!

Definitely something to be proud of. it's quite the feat!
Tnks!!

Yes it is bc we have to do them when we are already exhausted as well.

The circuit work out that we do after the 1 hour paddling session is H.I.I.T circuit.. so I already am pretty much dead tired.

I actually didn't think i could do it. I told my coach that i might need assistance and he told me to just try it and that he wants to challenge me today.. so i was really surprised. I've only been practicing trying to do those pull ups for 3 weeks and already i can do 1, so i know I'll be able to do 10 in just a few more months

After my work outs on Sundays you literally can't talk to me.. i'm a babbling idiot. It's like i've used up all my energy.. i've exhausted myself that I cant think properly lol
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 PM   #2857
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fornicator View Post
The lopsided way you're lifting in this made me very nervous. That can't be good surely.
workdowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 AM   #2858
TRIBE Member

Quote:
So, I've been trying to push 225lbs on flat barbell bench for a while now and finally did it!

My friend took a vid of it.

Baller, son.
LMAO! Im laughing for two reasons, one, its not you, and two, love the form on this guy! Love it!
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #2859
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by workdowntown View Post
The lopsided way you're lifting in this made me very nervous. That can't be good surely.
What are you talking about? I learned that technique off of a website I saw on the internet. The next set, I dipped the left side really far. Helps with isolation and contraction.

haha I'm just fucking around. That's not me. Posted for laughs, yo.
the_fornicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #2860
TRIBE Member

lol d'oh!
workdowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #2861
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Helps with isolation and contraction.
i know you're just taking the piss - but i'll respond with a serious post.

best way to do that are alternating DB bench.

These are *amazing* for core stability too.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #2862
TRIBE Member

Back with some more questions...

So I checked out some of them eric cressey shoulder videos, and have selected a few that I'd would try out. Issue is, those videos only show technique. How do I know how many reps is sufficient? Also how often? I was thinking about doing them on lilke off days monday/friday.

Not to sound cheap, but where can I get a foam roller for a low price? 15-30$ for a piece of foam is ridiculous....is there like a substitue for this?

Squats...so I started 'em...and damn that shit is deadly...this is how i am starting out. warm-up sets, total 3 sets at 65 then 90 then 115. Now working set is at 115, first is no problem, middle second set and then third, it is difficult to get my thighs to horizontal (i'd say I'd have maybe a 10-15 degree angle and pop back up), if I do, it fuckin' kills!! Should my target be to get them to horizontal and do less reps, or cheat some and keep the reps higher?

Pull-ups. pretty much what I'm doing is just using a horizontal rail on a staircase. I do not have a very tight grip. Is this okay?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #2863
TRIBE Member

You could substitute the foam roller with a piece of PVC pipe.

As for squats, doing cheat reps is not going to get you anywhere. Lower the weight until you get the technique down. I'm not an expert, and maybe someone else could give more info, but shouldn't you be squatting all the way down, not just to horizontal?
R4V4G3D_SKU11S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #2864
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Back with some more questions...

So I checked out some of them eric cressey shoulder videos, and have selected a few that I'd would try out. Issue is, those videos only show technique. How do I know how many reps is sufficient? Also how often? I was thinking about doing them on lilke off days monday/friday.
Foam roll EVERY day, even on off days. Reps should be between 12-15 as part of your warm up. But, like Kdawg form MobilityWOD says, do it until it's no longer tender.

Quote:
Not to sound cheap, but where can I get a foam roller for a low price? 15-30$ for a piece of foam is ridiculous....is there like a substitue for this?
The high quality ones are worth it. the foam won't compress... but yea, it's rediculous. i spent $15 on stuff at home depot and made one with a PVC core and covered in thin foam. Just the PVC pipe as suggested above might be too intense at first.

A tennis ball is pretty cheap. Don't cheap out on them, buy a decentpair of three for $5 at wherever...not dollar store ones. (the better quality, the more compression they can take)

You can hit the piriformis like this:

DeFrancosTraining.com - Piriformis myofascial release - YouTube

this guy hits almost everything that cressey does, but with a tennis ball here:

Self-Myofascial Release, tennis ball - YouTube

If some of those on the ground are alittle too intense, to it against a wall - you can likely adjust the intensity a little easier. I find a doorway and a tennis ball perticularly good for my pecs, which is something that's likely a mess for your.

Quote:
Squats...so I started 'em...and damn that shit is deadly...this is how i am starting out. warm-up sets, total 3 sets at 65 then 90 then 115. Now working set is at 115, first is no problem, middle second set and then third, it is difficult to get my thighs to horizontal (i'd say I'd have maybe a 10-15 degree angle and pop back up), if I do, it fuckin' kills!! Should my target be to get them to horizontal and do less reps, or cheat some and keep the reps higher?
Perfect! squats will put hair on your chest!

Form over volume - ANY DAY. If you can't do the movement properly, then lower the weight.

Lots of gym nerds will try to tell you that you should always go at least parallel to the ground. Yes, it's true that a squat below parallel is required in competitive lifting. Yes, it's true that the bigger range of motion will recruit more muscle fibers.

BUT, if you can't go below parallel without curving your ass inwards at the bottom of the movement - then don't go that low. Go as low as you can, without breaking form. As your hip and ankle mobility improve - so will your range of motion on your squat. Breaking form will only result in injuries down the road.

Watch these for squat mechanics and geometry. I was praising rippetoe at the top of the page, and this is what he has to say.

Quote:
Pull-ups. pretty much what I'm doing is just using a horizontal rail on a staircase. I do not have a very tight grip. Is this okay?
don't know what you're talking about or how safe it sounds - but you want to have a tight grip for muscle recruitment. those doorway things you can get at canadian tire for $20, and they work great
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #2865
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S View Post
You could substitute the foam roller with a piece of PVC pipe.

As for squats, doing cheat reps is not going to get you anywhere. Lower the weight until you get the technique down. I'm not an expert, and maybe someone else could give more info, but shouldn't you be squatting all the way down, not just to horizontal?
Only if you've got the right mobility. Your ass should stay pointing outwards, and if your pelvis is curving (tucking under, towards your from) at the bottom of the squat, then you lack the hip mobility.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #2866
TRIBE Member

I have a date with the barbell this afternoon - GRRRRR
Old 02-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #2867
TRIBE Member

almost defeated, ouch
Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #2868
TRIBE Member

Bodybuilding.com as a great area on their site that shows you how to do the exercises... for the people that are interested how to do a squat look at the link below.

Barbell Full Squat Exercise Guide and Video
MOD ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #2869
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD ONE View Post
Bodybuilding.com as a great area on their site that shows you how to do the exercises... for the people that are interested how to do a squat look at the link below.

Barbell Full Squat Exercise Guide and Video
good start off point, but it doesnt go over some of the important concepts from Mark Rippetoe's above video
Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #2870
TRIBE Member

good stuff, I actually have some pvc pipe laying and a 3x12 feet layer of foam laying around. Will give it a try tomorrow.

in regards to the pulls up thing. it's like the hand rail on the floor at the top of a set ofstairs. So, I go onto the stairs, , grip the rail, do a little jump and do pull ups.

_____________ rail
| | | | | | | | |
===================flooor
########_|
#######_|
######_|
#####_| stairs
####_|
###_|
##_|

Okay, honest, one last thing for now. Hitting a muscle twice a week.

Example:Now on off days, I decided to go back to hitting the core muscles on monday/friday. Tuesday is back/bicep day and I would like to hit them again on friday. Nothing major but just 3 sets of dumbbell rows or pullups until fail. Thursday is chest/tri/shoulder, so monday would like to do 3 sets of of bench work (rotating like flat press & military press each week, or just push-ups). Does this seem like a good idea or would it be over training? I do feel like I can hit them again on those days. Would there be any benefit to hitting them again?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #2871
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
good stuff, I actually have some pvc pipe laying and a 3x12 feet layer of foam laying around. Will give it a try tomorrow.

in regards to the pulls up thing. it's like the hand rail on the floor at the top of a set ofstairs. So, I go onto the stairs, , grip the rail, do a little jump and do pull ups.

_____________ rail
| | | | | | | | |
===================flooor
########_|
#######_|
######_|
#####_| stairs
####_|
###_|
##_|

Okay, honest, one last thing for now. Hitting a muscle twice a week.

Example:Now on off days, I decided to go back to hitting the core muscles on monday/friday. Tuesday is back/bicep day and I would like to hit them again on friday. Nothing major but just 3 sets of dumbbell rows or pullups until fail. Thursday is chest/tri/shoulder, so monday would like to do 3 sets of of bench work (rotating like flat press & military press each week, or just push-ups). Does this seem like a good idea or would it be over training? I do feel like I can hit them again on those days. Would there be any benefit to hitting them again?
still not sure what to make out of your ascii-art, but if you feel it's dont safe - dont do it :S

as for your training, im kinda confused. first you say monday is an off day, then you say you're doing co work - but at the end you say monday is bench work. After re-reading a few times, i think you're asking if it;s okay to hit the core multiple times a week? the answer is abso-fucking-lutely. you've trained very little for core exercises until now, and doing a bit of work before cardio is going to be good. If you're asking about hitting Biceps more - then no, i think it's a waste of time. Mind you, i've got 14'' biceps, so who am i to talk - but, i did put 3'' on in 1.5 and a half...and it wasn't by doing curls. Eat big, lift big and the biceps will follow. Just remember that recovery is just as important. You're not getting stronger in the gym, you're getting stronger when you sleep and recover.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #2872
TRIBE Member

Not sure if I like your Chest/Tri/Shoulder day, thats a lot of stress on your shoulders. Why not move that to your Back/Bi's instead? Just curious.

Also, I may not be as mongo as I was, but man, lovin the symetry and overall density look - curcuits doing the trick.

I will switch next month back to my normal schedule and see what happens then. Ive been able to almost keep my strength up as per my normal bodybuilding which is insane through the entire curcuit, maybe not as heavy, but its not all that lower compared to peaks I was reaching. But completely gassed after.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #2873
TRIBE Member

To those who use the treadmills for a 30-40 minute walk...please kindly fuck off outside or to the closest mall for your walk. Some of us actually want to do a workout and do not have the time to wait for those to finish their walk so we can squeeze our runs in.

Thank you.
LikeASweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #2874
TRIBE Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASweet View Post
To those who use the treadmills for a 30-40 minute walk...please kindly fuck off outside or to the closest mall for your walk. Some of us actually want to do a workout and do not have the time to wait for those to finish their walk so we can squeeze our runs in.

Thank you.
Don't take it personal, but you need to worry less about what others (who have every right to use the equipment in said way) do in the gym, and worry about yourself.

It's winter. it's cold. Treadmills will be packed....that's gym life.

Why not look into alternative methods of increasing stamina? You can always buy a skipping rope.

Adding 2 sets of 25-50 explosive movements (kettle bell snatches, box jumps, frog squat jumps) after your workout will tax your conditioning and do much more for you then running on a treadmill.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #2875
TRIBE Member

i have a full set of kettlebells that i use and i train for tris and marathons. i need to use the treadmill more often than other forms of cardio (i usually run outside but interval or hill days are nice to do indoors at times). i get where you are coming from and im never fussed about sharing equipment.

however treadmills should be used for running not walking at a casual pace on for 30-40 minutes. these people do not break a sweat and the workout probably does feck all for them physically. if they were to show a little more effort id deal with it but it is incredibly annoying to watch someone half ass it like this. i wont change my outlook on this lol.
LikeASweet is offline   Reply With Quote