TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > Girl Stuff Forum

am i allowed to be angry?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #26
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by praktik View Post
I dunno, if Mingster was in my office and got mad at people bringing in whatever it is they want to eat, then I'd get mad at her for getting mad...

Just say no Mingster.
I agree that I would smack someone that tried to tell me what I can and can't eat but if her office is anything like mine (and it sounds similar), this isn't about judging someone else's lunch as much as it's about people bringing in junk food and basically forcing it on you - "just have one" or "it'll go to waste" or "buy this gargantuan fucking chocolate bar so my son can play hockey".
Flashy_McFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #27
TRIBE Member

why are you dieting for your wedding? i'll bet that your partner loves you exactly as you are right now and dieting is probably not going to change how you look that much anyways.
girlnextdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #28
TRIBE Member

naw, I'm pretty sure I've heard dave say he don't chase no chubbies down the aisle.
Krzysiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #29
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlnextdoor View Post
why are you dieting for your wedding? i'll bet that your partner loves you exactly as you are right now and dieting is probably not going to change how you look that much anyways.
In response to this comment, (not sure Mingster's reasoning)

I'm also getting married this summer and I've had my dress fitting...

I was told if I as much as a gain a fucking pound-- I am SCREWED. There's a lot of detailing up top so there's no room to give. Dieting to shed a few, and tone up, isn't a bad thing. Not just for the dress, but to look and FEEL good in the dress AND to be able to drink, and party, and have fun in the dress! and to be summer ready for the honeymoon!!! Plus I am an emotional eater and with all the wedding shower events, and bachelorette events and parties/food etc. Imagine the calories!

Not to mention, I work part time at Starbucks (got help me) and that shit is killing me. I had just been able to hold off for the month I started when I had my fitting and now we're 4 months in and all hell has broke loose. I was getting in shit for only drinking water, and not touching the food or drinks so I got into the sugar/sugar-free Lattes and tried the foods. I've now switched to teas, and have tried to stay away from the treats, but It's always Food tastings this, and Coffee/Lattes Tastings that. I swear I'll be a house by the time August comes at this rate.

I will end up on the Bulging Brides Show!

Last edited by skyparty; 03-12-2009 at 02:04 PM.
skyparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #30
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by praktik View Post
I dunno, if Mingster was in my office and got mad at people bringing in whatever it is they want to eat, then I'd get mad at her for getting mad...

Just say no Mingster.
you're right. it would be ass-backwards somehow for me to complain about it.

i guess what i'm getting at, is why shouldn't the office be a place where we encourage each other to be healthy and eat properly? we learn about it in school (my mom teaches it in kindergarten!), but then we are released into the world where we struggle with healthy eating constantly, and spent 8 hours a day in a place that doesn't help.

it's fantastic that 5 people at my work here have joined curves, and they go 4 times a week. but then chiquita banana brings in her creme caramels and coconut creme pies, and i don't think she realizes she's not doing anyone any favours.

girlnextdoor: i think my uncoming wedding is just making me more sensitive to the issue, but i know i felt this way before i was engaged. a year ago, a colleague was taking a cake decorating class, and EVERY WEEK she brought in a MASSIVE cake covered in fondant to share with everyone. and it would be gone before 10:30am. cake for breakfast! ridiculous! why do people think this is a good idea?
mingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #31
TRIBE Member

maybe you're actually angry that YOU can't eat the stuff?

The thing about the office being a place of healthy eating encouragement is that its almost preachy...forcing others to accept your values, in this case eating. Best to leave that stuff outside of the office, and exercise self control.
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #32
TRIBE Member

c'mon. cake for breakfast?
mingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #33
TRIBE Member

Hey mingster.. why dont you start the trend of bringing in healthy snacks?

I think people bring junk food because maybe its cheaper? Less work to have to prepare.

Maybe you should bring in one of those premade veggie platters with a healthy dip.

Thankfully i work in an environment where the guys can barely bring in their own lunches let alone unhealthy snacks for the coworkers, and women who are CRAZY ass health conscious so IF they every bring in any snacks to share its always something healthy.

Well except for all the wine, beers and cocktails in the fridge.

But in the end its your own willpower.

Sometimes the guys go to harveys and ask me if they want to bring me back any food and its always tough to say no to the poutine. But ive been off the harveys poutine for a good month or so now and resisting the urge to have them bring me back one.
SpaceBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #34
ila
TRIBE Member

95% of the time, people bring junk to work because they don't want to eat it themselves, and they'll sabotage your efforts to lose weight/be healthy in the interest of preserving their own.

Also, if they do partake in the junk consumption, they find comfort in the fact that they're taking you down with them.

This is why no one brings fruit platters or salads to share at work. They hoard that shit for themselves.
ila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #35
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ila View Post
95% of the time, people bring junk to work because they don't want to eat it themselves, and they'll sabotage your efforts to lose weight/be healthy in the interest of preserving their own.

Completely agree, I call it dispersion of guilt
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #36
TRIBE Member

ila, you nailed it. Somehow mutual sabotage lets people off the hook from their own guilt.
Gfunkdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #37
ila
TRIBE Member

No one likes to throw out that leftover cake or all those cookies they baked, and they certainly don't want to eat it all and make themselves fat, but they don't give two shits about their coworkers' health. They'll tell you to eat two cakes if it means they're off the hook.

Call them on it. I call people saboteurs to their faces when they do shit like this to me and then they blush and walk away. Fuckers!

Plus, they've probably put their saliva in the batter of whatever fatty treat they've baked up and tried to pass off on you.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #38
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Plus, they've probably put their saliva in the batter of whatever fatty treat they've baked up and tried to pass off on you.
But its baked, right? I mean, if its safe to eat a batter with egg after being cooked, that would indicate that any egg-associated bacteria (e coli, perhaps?) had been killed in the backing process, no? So any potential saliva bacteria would be killed too!

SO yeah, the bacteria hypothesis is out.

Saboteur on the other hand...now that's a good one.
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #39
TRIBE Member

Okay, you people are either crazy or joking, I can't tell which.

I have chocolates on my desk that I don't eat because I hate the taste, but they were a gift. Should I throw them out because otherwise I'm a sabaoteur?
daddyiwantchocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #40
ila
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyiwantchocolate View Post

I have chocolates on my desk that I don't eat because I hate the taste, but they were a gift. Should I throw them out because otherwise I'm a sabaoteur?
if you hate it that's different.

however, if you push them on people instead of just offering, then you're a saboteur.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #41
TRIBE Member

Girl you dont need sweets like chocolates! You're sweet enough!
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #42
ila
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
But its baked, right? I mean, if its safe to eat a batter with egg after being cooked, that would indicate that any egg-associated bacteria (e coli, perhaps?) had been killed in the backing process, no? So any potential saliva bacteria would be killed too!

SO yeah, the bacteria hypothesis is out.

Saboteur on the other hand...now that's a good one.
it's not the bacteria, it's the possibility that you could be eating their saliva, in whatever state. it's too much to handle.

I have hangups for sure. I don't like baked treats made by unregulated/unprofessional people I don't know well. bake sales and pot lucks are a nightmare for me. like eating out of someone's used tupperware - barf. some woman brought brownies in to our office last year and you could see that she'd baked one of her hairs into one of the brownies. it was hideous. I can't even type about this anymore.

anyway, this has nothing to do with this thread and everything to do with my being crazy.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #43
TRIBE Member

Quote:
I'm going with crazy. Seriously.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #44
TRIBE Member

Here's an idea: maybe some people really like baking and enjoying sharing it with their co-workers because they also enjoy doing nice things that make other people happy.

Either that or they're disease-ridden-spoon-licking-wanting-to-wreck-your-life-hypocritical-guilt-passing-fatty-fat-fats.
Spinsah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #45
TRIBE Member

I get in trouble if I don't bring in the treats I make.
It would be annoying if there were donuts in my face all the time though; my strategy would be to have healthy yummy snacks on hand so I'm not binging at 2 p.m. I love sugar but I try to replace bad things with good things, like instead of eating gummies I have those sun-rype fruit bars. It's still sugar but it's not refined sugar, and it doesn't have all that crap asides from sugar. So yeah reminding myself of all the preservatives and oil in food usually keeps me away from it if it's not planned. I agree with ila, I am all about the planned treats consumption, so much more rewarding.
rubytuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:21 PM   #46
TRIBE Member

don't try to reason with crazy people
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #47
TRIBE Member

So if I were to move them from my desk to the kitchen, and what if I didn't hate them, I just wanted to share because I know other people like them too?

Quote:
Also, if they do partake in the junk consumption, they find comfort in the fact that they're taking you down with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
Completely agree, I call it dispersion of guilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfunkdiva View Post
ila, you nailed it. Somehow mutual sabotage lets people off the hook from their own guilt.
Like, you guys honestly think this (though I'm presuming ila is her usual tongue-in-cheek)? LOFLLLLLLLLL!!!!

Whatever happened to genuine sharing?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #48
ila
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinsah View Post
Here's an idea: maybe some people really like baking and enjoying sharing it with their co-workers because they also enjoy doing nice things that make other people happy.
sure. they're the 5% not included in the 95% I'm talking about.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #49
TRIBE Member

Quote:
some woman brought brownies in to our office last year and you could see that she'd baked one of her hairs into one of the brownies. it was hideous. I can't even type about this anymore.
So gross and so hilarious. It's like the time Skipper (RIP) reported about someone bringing pot brownies to work and people getting sent to the hospital. I don't eat home-baked shit either, for the record.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #50
ila
TRIBE Member

Quote:

Whatever happened to genuine sharing?
Listen up, Santa. No one shares treats. They inflict them on you.

Also, I may or may not be kidding. I haven't decided if I really have an opinion on this yet.