TRIBE MAGAZINE
Home Event Listings Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > Geek - Computers - Gaming - Gadgets

Bell Fibe internet - anyone using it?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #26
TRIBE Member

My understanding is that while they may have access to the people who handle the disconnect, there is no access to the status of the tech performing the actual disconnect, which is why there are always these vauge and incovenient service windows. If they were aware of the missed appointment and did not notify you, then you're right, they should own up to that.

However, it seems that your frustrations with Teksavvy are still mostly frustrations with Bell, and you felt that as a consumer, you needed to express that by taking your business elsewhere. But the thing is, you didn't really take your business elsewhere at all, you just gave more of it to the party responsible for most of your frustrations.

Why not sign up with Rogers if you found the process of disconnecting/transferring DSL so frustrating? At least that way you'd be supporting a different infrastructure (if not a different ideology).
Spinsah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #27
TRIBE Member

well you obviously are talking out of your ass here so please stop!

they were more than able to communicate with Bell and find out what they needed to know and again when the 8hr window was over did they call me at all??? NO, but I guess thats Bells fault too

the way they dealt with the whole situation and myself was piss poor and yes I went to Bell but I was with Rogers before and they're ass and Bell has fiber cables running through my building so I went with the lesser of two evils from Rogers and Bell both who regardless of situtation woould provide some sort of compensation to their clients other then passing the buck.

so as much as you're trying to make me look stupid for my choice here, I had more than enough reasons to make the changes I did and stop trying to make Tekassy out like they're gods gift to the internet, becuase they're not perfect by any means and I looked on the internet for reviews and I'm not the only one with problems with thier moving service....since they know Bell provides roadblocks they could better prepared and keep their clients informed of whats going on a little better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinsah View Post
My understanding is that while they may have access to the people who handle the disconnect, there is no access to the status of the tech performing the actual disconnect, which is why there are always these vauge and incovenient service windows. If they were aware of the missed appointment and did not notify you, then you're right, they should own up to that.

However, it seems that your frustrations with Teksavvy are still mostly frustrations with Bell, and you felt that as a consumer, you needed to express that by taking your business elsewhere. But the thing is, you didn't really take your business elsewhere at all, you just gave more of it to the party responsible for most of your frustrations.

Why not sign up with Rogers if you found the process of disconnecting/transferring DSL so frustrating? At least that way you'd be supporting a different infrastructure (if not a different ideology).

Last edited by StarvinMarvin; 03-17-2010 at 02:00 PM.
StarvinMarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #28
TRIBE Member

I'm not trying to make you feel stupid, man. All I'm trying to do is provide broader context and information you might not be aware of. You're the one getting your back up.

I believe you're mistaken in thinking Teksavvy is able to get any meaningful information from Bell dispatch during a slated install. Perhaps this quote from an ex Bell tech will provide some more information you might not be aware of:

Quote:
I've provisioned literately thousands of lines for Bell and you are out to lunch on this.

TSI can't do anything but wait for Bell.

Half the time on these it's not loaded behind anyone. Or if it is the guy gets behind and puts it back in the pool and control
can't find anyone to do it unless they force it on someone elses load.

Who guess what? Won't get to it either. I go through this all the time now as a competitor of Bell.

I tell my customers they will be lucky if the guy shows up and lucky if he is competent and lucky if he's in a good mood.

I've had Bell Canada customers missed on up to three separate days.

Call them on any of these days and they will say a tech will be there by the end of the day.
Source: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r227...an-do~start=20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvinMarvin View Post
well you obviously are talking out of your ass here so please stop!

they were more than able to communicate with Bell and find out what they needed to know and again when the 8hr window was over did they call me at all??? NO, but I guess thats Bells fault too

the way they dealt with the whole situation and myself was piss poor and yes I went to Bell but I was with Rogers before and they're ass and Bell has fiber cables running through my building so I went with the lesser of two evils from Rogers and Bell both who regardless of situtation woould provide some sort of compensation to their clients other then passing the buck.

so as much as you're trying to make me look stupid for my choice here, I had more than enough reasons to make the changes I did and stop trying to make Tekassy out like they're gods gift to the internet, becuase they're not perfect by any means and I looked on the internet for reviews and I'm not the only one with problems with thier moving service....since they know Bell provides roadblocks they could better prepared and keep their clients informed of whats going on a little better
Old 03-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #29
TRIBE Member

well then the HUMAN i spoke to at teksavvy advising me they could have gotten this information was lying but thanks for the link

you have a real hard on for teksavvy buddy jebus

my opinion stays the same and Iw ould still tell people to choose another provider other than Tekassy

GOOD DAY!
Old 03-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #30
TRIBE Member

also if they have this sorta of problem again they could warn their customer(s) who are taking time out of their day, that they maybe wasting their fucking time sitting at home and may have to do it again and again, instead of sitting their like idoits and the passing the buck

poor customer service any way I look at it

do you frikin work for them?? fuck go away, they handled this like ass period, there was many things they could have done to make the whole situation much easier, mostly by just keeping their client informed but they probably dont have enough money for that

Last edited by StarvinMarvin; 03-17-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #31
TRIBE Member

I'm sure they weren't lying and they very well could have received a status update that indicated a tech was still slated to be there by end of day. But as I've tried to make clear by citing first hand experience from someone who has worked within the system in question, those status reports are functionally useless.

I have been where you were, pissing away a day waiting for a Bell tech to arrive. Does this happen often? Clearly. Does that mean that every install could still happen as planned? Absolutely. Is there a better way for Bell to operate? You're goddamn right there is.

But you're giving them just what they want. In the end, Bell played you and Teksavvy. They made it impossible for their wholesaler to provide meaningful information to you the end user after likely bumping down the priority of a wholesale install in the first place. By virtue of being incompotent, malicious and negligent they exploited your frustrations and somehow ended up with your business.

Do I have a "hard on" for Teksavvy? No, I just appreciate a small company that chooses to operate with their user's interests at heart and provide a more ethical and transparent alternative to the big players. They're engaged with issues of net neutrality, and for a company that still has the end goal of turning a profit, they manage to participate in activist circles that seek to provide broadband access to more Canadians for a more reasonable price through more ethical channels.

Do I care about this? Yes I do. And I think it is a shame you don't.

Last edited by Spinsah; 03-17-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #32
TRIBE Member

whatever buddy TEKSAVVY handled the situation poorly and I decided to take my monies elsewhere....

why do you think I went with the little guy in the first place tardo, because I want to say fuck the bigs guys and the strangle hold they put on everything but when the service from the little guys is useless and they just put on blinders to everything and lay the blame eslewhere warranted or not, that CS is useless to me

again any which way you look at it or you try to spin it they didnt keep they're client well informed of their operations and clearly fucked up, even if Bell is throwing the wrench in their plans they could have let me know that I may be inconvinenced and may need to take one or more days away from work in order for them to provide me the services required.....doing nothing is just plain stupid PERIOD

Bell owned up for their screw up right off the bat (by saying they didnt help you but we had a part in that mess so heres a deal) when I called them for their service because of it being the optimal next step for me considering the fibre running in my building and me hating Rogers...plus obviously not wanting to deal with the little guys again after that experience

Last edited by StarvinMarvin; 03-17-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #33
TRIBE Member

Spot the Toronto Sun subscriber in this thread and WIN!
Dr. Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #34
TRIBE Member

Louie man, it sounds like you're justified in your frustrations insofar as Teksavvy didn't do a good job in managing your expectations. The unfortunate thing is that Bell should be doing their job and completing their installs as promised, or providing ample notification of the delays. They failed to do this, as they routinely do, and Teksavvy has to do what they can to reschedule/expedite an install or admit they are treated as second-class clients. That's a tough situation for a reseller to be in.

I hope you didn't take any of this exchange personally. None of it was intended to be a personal attack.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #35
TRIBE Member

grinch eat a dick

Spins s'all good...

I just felt like stating that if I had to tell someone who to choose from my experience I would tell them not to go with them, I know there is a thousand and one great reasons to choose them over the big dog but personally I wouldn't advise so for the many reasons stated above.

I think they could have handled my situation a lot better regardless of what limitations they have because of Bell, as a customer a little more information could have been provided to me on their part and it was not, which in the end left me feeling like they didn't give a rats ass because there was somewhere to lay the blame other than themselves
Old 03-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #36
TRIBE Member

Been with Velcom for a year and a bit now, 29.95 DSL using bells lines, no caps, no frills, 3mbps (they claim 5 but no way)

Can't complain. Bell can suck my asshole.
green_souljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #37
TRIBE Promoter

I've never actually looked into it, but out of curiosity. Does anyone know why there are DSL resellers, but I've never seen any cable internet resellers?
Kalemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #38
TRIBE Member

there are...3web resells rogers cable

they suck worse than even rogers, but they try
videotronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #39
TRIBE Promoter

I just signed up for the Fibe service last Nov1st. I get approx 12mbps down and 7up. I've been using the gear supplied by Bell and up till today have been very happy with everything. That is, until I realized the Bell router isn't a gigabyte router. I also somehow talked them into giving me the student special so for the next 8months. I get the ridiculous amount of 90GB month to use. All and all I like it so far.

Here's my techy question...

The device that Bell gives you to connect is a wireless g router/modem (2wire #2701hg-g). And I am hoping to use my own gigabit router (Dink Dir-825). I learned how to bridge the two devices, but now my download speeds have dropped considerably from 12 to 3mbps. uggg.. Has anyone else tried this before? or am wasting my time trying to figure it out.
MartyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #40
TRIBE Member

I would check here first.

High Speed Internet : Digital Home

P.S. Hi Marty! Long time to see/chat.

Eclectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:33 AM   #41
TRIBE Promoter

omg.. I've figured it out....happy days.

hey mark. its been ages. gonna message you.

hi bell world.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:38 AM   #42
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly View Post
omg.. I've figured it out....happy days.

hey mark. its been ages. gonna message you.

hi bell world.
Hey Marty, just looking at the description in the link you provided - it does not say it supports anything but WEP for security. I would be looking in the manual for WPA at the very least.

Jay
xtcfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #43
TRIBE Promoter

thanks jay.. was able to make that change.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 PM   #44
ian
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly View Post
I just signed up for the Fibe service last Nov1st. I get approx 12mbps down and 7up. I've been using the gear supplied by Bell and up till today have been very happy with everything. That is, until I realized the Bell router isn't a gigabyte router. I also somehow talked them into giving me the student special so for the next 8months. I get the ridiculous amount of 90GB month to use. All and all I like it so far.

Here's my techy question...

The device that Bell gives you to connect is a wireless g router/modem (2wire #2701hg-g). And I am hoping to use my own gigabit router (Dink Dir-825). I learned how to bridge the two devices, but now my download speeds have dropped considerably from 12 to 3mbps. uggg.. Has anyone else tried this before? or am wasting my time trying to figure it out.
Considering the fact that the internet bandwidth you can handle on your original device isn't even close to 54MB or 100MB let alone GB speed, there is no point in doing what you've done.
ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #45
TRIBE Member

hey... been looking into getting a new iPhone 4 through Telus or Rogers, and now I'm thinking about doing an iPhone/Internet/Fibe bundle through Bell. Seems like I can save quite a bit of money from the fortune I hand over to Rogers every month for internet & TV. The Basic + 3 Theme Packs for $50 is a pretty good deal, and the free HD PVR is a huge bonus. Almost looks to good to be true. Any recent horror stories?
dig this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #46
TRIBE Member

had easily the worst customer service I've ever had this weekend with Bell - although to their credit they did eventually address it. Friday night my fibe 6 connection drops. Call into Tech support and am advised it's the modem power supply and that they'll purolate it to my hands "either saturday or sunday". The diagnosis was quick and I didn't feel like it was thorough. Saturday I notice i'm back online again, so I'm surfing along and it crashes again. The DSL indicator is flashing... Call back in - am advised there's another issue, they'll resolve it by sending a truck to my house sunday morning between 8-12. Sunday afternoon rolls around and no visit, no call, no nothing. I spend the next hour and 45 minutes being transferred around and informed that a tech came to the area, couldn't fix the issue, and closed the ticket - again, with no call, nothing. I'm like "What? The guy was to come and swap a modem in my house?" AND I'm informed the earliest this can be rescheduled is 3-5 days. I hit the roof - a week i'm supposed to go without any service? why wasn't I contacted? If he is in his truck doing work on sunday, call his ass and get him over here OR get someone else to do it. Seriously, Where's the tech and why didn't he pay us a visit to swap the modem and check our phone jacks/wiring? I get warm transferred around again AND then cold transferred, end up with someone else in BILLING (????) and then tech support again only to then learn that there never was a dispatch ticket set up for sunday at all and that no one could visit that day since it was too late (6pm at this stage). Totally balls. Got lied to twice outright. Spoke to customer satisfaction yesterday, explained the whole story and got compensated a year's worth of their 12mb service (1mb up) with 150gigz a month all-in for ~$30/month with a free month added on top AND had a tech come out same day to swap the modem. kudo's to them for working it out, but man oh man what a way to spend a weekend. never thought i'd see the day i could be outright lied to simply for trying to get help with a technical service problem. You manage expectations, don't string someone along, and never lie to the client.

will update with what transpires over the next little while. we have a new modem and so far so no problem. But this next stage will be measured precisely on whether I receive what we're both expecting, or not. It's just that simple.

Last edited by Bernnie Federko; 10-04-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Bernnie Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #47
lok
TRIBE Member

I know that Bell is shit and I really hope everything works out, But I absolutely LOVE my Bell Fibe 25. 21 ping on US servers is worth the price of admission alone, much less the ~2.5 MB/s down.
lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #48
TRIBE Member

OK, so now I'm gonna complain. I've had this sagecom "hub" require me or my people to power cycle it 6 times that we know of in the past 3 days, and another 6 or so last week when it was installed. The tech support says the line is clear. What a piece of fucking shit this thing is, fuck it. Bell's CSR desk is getting an ear full after they open in the morning. I ain't happy with the performance. We rewired the fucking basement, and the lines are pretty effing straight. I ain't amused with this darn thing cacking out this frequently.

/rant
Bernnie Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #49
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernnie Federko View Post
OK, so now I'm gonna complain. I've had this sagecom "hub" require me or my people to power cycle it 6 times that we know of in the past 3 days, and another 6 or so last week when it was installed. The tech support says the line is clear. What a piece of fucking shit this thing is, fuck it. Bell's CSR desk is getting an ear full after they open in the morning. I ain't happy with the performance. We rewired the fucking basement, and the lines are pretty effing straight. I ain't amused with this darn thing cacking out this frequently.

/rant
sagemcom hub is shit, i lose dhcp after a day, i just hook up another router to it and let it do all the dhcp. If you ever need tech support its better to do it at dslreports, they have a direct forum there, they understand this problem and they will send you another modem. Unfortunately for me the modem they sent has the same problem, i just left it as is, as long as i can surf, it is fine with me.
romstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 AM   #50
TRIBE Member

So I just signed up with FibeTV/internet.

So far what I've been reading is that if you have fibeTV, you automatically get a 25/10 internet line to share between tv/net. I also upgraded internet to 15/10. Would it be wiser to switch net to 5/1 profile instead (to save 10$) because I would assume I'd get the 25 down when the tvs are not in use?
mrfinesse is offline   Reply With Quote