TRIBE MAGAZINE
Home Event Listings Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE MAGAZINE > TRIBE BOARD > Geek - Computers - Gaming - Gadgets

So I got my first copyright infringment letter...

Old 08-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
TRIBE Member

So I got my first copyright infringment letter...

I downloaded some Ebooks for my sister lastnight, via Demonoid/Bittorrent.

It was a 1000 book bulk file, and in 12hrs I recieved a notice from my ISP with contact information for a copyright company called MediaSentry.

Now I didn't target Harry Potter books, they just happened to be in the bulk folder. I find it funny that after a decade of downloading that a torrent I wasn't seeding is what gets me flagged.

I changed my IP address and won't be using demonoid anytime soon, so hopefully ignoring the letter will be enough.

Dear Rogers High-Speed Internet:
>
> On behalf of the rights holder for the content listed below, we are
> writing this letter to state that we have a good faith belief that the
> unauthorized sharing (distribution) and downloading of this content has
> occurred by an individual making use of the IP address below at the date
> and time referenced at the end of this notice.
>
> Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Audio)
> XXXXXXXX
>
>
> We also state, under penalty of perjury, that the information in this
> notice is accurate and that we are authorized to act on behalf of the
> rights owner. Since you own this IP address, we request that you inform
> the individual who engaged in this conduct of the following:
>
> Unauthorized file sharing is illegal. However, we truly appreciate your
> interest in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Audio). We are
> making every attempt to provide this wonderful content to you in a host of
> legitimate ways, one of which is through the following website:
>
> http://www.apple.com/itunes
>
>
> If you believe you have received this notice in error, please contact us
> at CLCopyright@mediasentry.com
> ., and kindly include this identification number xxxxxxx, also noted
> above, in the subject line.
>
> Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> A Kempe
> MediaSentry Operations
tripleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
TRIBE Member

You know I hear about these stories from Rogers a lot more than w/ Sympatico.

Has anyone on sympatico got a letter like this?
praktik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
TRIBE Member

bah, mis-spelled infringement.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
TRIBE Member

and this is why downloaders use peerguardian2.
workdowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by workdowntown View Post
and this is why downloaders use peerguardian2.
Apparently PG2 is a pile of shit.

http://fora.demonoid.com/index.php?topic=25342.0
Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #6

awwww. i still haven't got one. congratulations!
Rajio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
TRIBE Member

Never gotten one with bell but more than likely they'd have used the @sympatico address your forced to get that no one uses.
Hi i'm God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
TRIBE Member

I know it may not help too much but are you at least encrypting your torrents and only accepting encrypted sessions as opposed to all of them? utorrent has these options.

Lobo
lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #9
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleup View Post
Apparently PG2 is a pile of shit.

http://fora.demonoid.com/index.php?topic=25342.0
It's not without flaws but it beats having nothing.
MIT did some studies on its effectiveness, I recall they rated it pretty highly.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
TRIBE Member

basically it looks like they're putting you on notice... more than likely the 1000 book torrent is a fishing lure they use to rope in people to send the letter to.
acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
TRIBE Member

why would you download books, what lame thing to download, go to the library dude
Dirty Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acheron View Post
more than likely the 1000 book torrent is a fishing lure they use to rope in people to send the letter to.
Yup.
Demonoid has increasingly become a source of these.

There's been a lot of talk of them being a DoJ honeypot (since the shutdown and miraculous recovery) but I think a more likely explanation is that they have a mole uploader or 10. Same thing that happened to Oink.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Girl View Post
why would you download books, what lame thing to download, go to the library dude
"I was in Nashville, Tennesee last year. After the show I went to a Waffle House. I'm not proud of it, I was hungry. And I'm alone, I'm eating and I'm reading a book, right? Waitress walks over to me: 'Hey, whatcha readin' for?' Isn't that the weirdest fuckin' question you've ever heard? Not what am I reading, but what am I reading FOR? Well, godammit, ya stumped me! Why do I read? Well . . . hmmm . . . I dunno . . . I guess I read for a lot of reasons and the main one is so I don't end up being a fuckin' waffle waitress."
Old 08-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #14
TRIBE Member

Also

"2007: RCMP Tolerates Piracy for Personal Use

Around the same time that the CRIA successfully took Demonoid offline, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) made it clear that pursuing Demonoid’s users is not a priority for them. Demonoid came back online in April 2008, but is now hosted in Ukraine.[17]

According to the RCMP it is impossible to track down everyone who downloads music or movies off the Internet. The police simply do not have the time nor the resources to go after filesharers.[18]

“Piracy for personal use is no longer targeted,” Noėl St-Hilaire, head of copyright theft investigations of the RCMP, said in an interview with Le Devoir. “It is too easy to copy these days and we do not know how to stop it,” he added.

St-Hilaire explained that they would rather focus on crimes that actually hurt consumers such as copyright violations related to medicine and electrical appliances, as well as ones that affect organized crime."
Old 08-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
TRIBE Member

god damn there goes my pirated electrical appliances business!!!
Dirty Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:25 AM   #16
TRIBE Member

Yeah, quit downloading toasters ya mad bint!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #17
TRIBE Member

Run!!!
MOD ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #18
TRIBE Member

d.code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #19
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by praktik View Post
You know I hear about these stories from Rogers a lot more than w/ Sympatico.

Has anyone on sympatico got a letter like this?
I did years ago. I downloaded Aviator and Alexander about a month apart from each other and got a letter for both of them.

Of course the funniest part is that the company has NO recourse to take except threatening letters. That are then forward by Bell/Rogers.

I have been downloading from Demoniod for years now and have never had a problem. I wouldn't give up on one of the better torrent sites just because of a letter.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #20
TRIBE Member

The courts said that downloading music is not copyright infringement here in Canada, and they used the example of being able to copy books from the library so I don't think you need to worry about downloading books.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #21
TRIBE Member

There are two reasons for this letter one is to cover their own asses so they don't get sued by the said company that made the media for us to enjoy. The second reason is to scare you, so you stop doing it. The laws here in Canada makes it really hard for companies to come here and sue people for DLing media. The main people they're trying to convict are the ones DLing it, and selling it in the black market. That's when you start to break the laws here in Canada.
MOD ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #22
zoo
TRIBE Member

I can see why this type of letter would freak someone out. It is dangerous to make assumptions, but Maui and MOD ONE are spot-on with their recollection of what is "understood" by most Canadian file-sharers as the terms of our wild-west existence. Just remember that we're not lawyers (I'm not, anyway. There I go assuming!).
zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #23
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
I can see why this type of letter would freak someone out. It is dangerous to make assumptions, but Maui and MOD ONE are spot-on with their recollection of what is "understood" by most Canadian file-sharers as the terms of our wild-west existence. Just remember that we're not lawyers (I'm not, anyway. There I go assuming!).
As much as some of the discussion/advice is appreciated, I'm well aware of what is likely/unlikely...and not really worried.

Just sort of a WTF moment I'd thought I'd share.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #24
zoo
TRIBE Member

I do find it interesting that the letter doesn't imply any type of recourse, and suggests you purchase the goods at the iTunes store. It's really more of a "scary" advertisement than anything.
zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #25
TRIBE Member

Just received one of these.

Rogers Cable (Rogers) has received a notice stating that activities associated with your IP address are infringing copyright in material(s) owned or exclusively licensed by others.

The full notice is appended to this e-mail below.

Under section 4(d) of the Rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet End User Agreement (EUA) and Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), you are prohibited from using the Rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet service to engage in illegal activities, including activities that infringe copyright. Copies of our EUA and AUP are available at:

http://na.edit.client.yahoo.com/rogers/show_static?.form=terms&.intl=ca

Where there has been a violation of our EUA and/or AUP, including the unauthorized distribution of copyright-protected material, Rogers has the right to take appropriate action against you.

If you have any questions about the attached copyright notice, please contact the sender of the notice using the contact information provided in the notice. Please do not reply to this e-mail.

We trust you will comply with our policies and all applicable laws in using the Rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet service.

Rogers EUA Management Team
Sincerely,

EUA Management Team
Rogers Yahoo Hi-Speed Internet

http://info.yahoo.com/legal/ca/rogers/terms/all/

First Found: 22 Oct 2009 18:19:19 EDT (GMT -0400)
Last Found: 22 Oct 2009 18:19:19 EDT (GMT -0400)
IP Address: 99.234.66.118
IP Port: 51413
Protocol: BitTorrent
Torrent InfoHash: A0D6DAA035F29B1757055E0BA13A6B5F7B1F4087
Containing file(s):
District 9 (2009) DVDRip XviD-MAXSPEED.torrent (734,598,342 bytes)

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Rogers Cable Inc.
1 Mount Pleasant Road
Toronto, M4Y-2Y5 CA

RE: Unauthorized Distribution of the Copyrighted Motion Picture Entitled
District 9

Dear Rogers High-Speed Internet:

We are writing this letter on behalf of Worldwide Sony Pictures Entertainment Acquisitions Inc. who owns certain rights under copyright law in the title District 9.

No one is authorized to perform, exhibit, reproduce, transmit, or otherwise distribute the above-mentioned work without the express written permission of Worldwide Sony Pictures Entertainment Acquisitions Inc., which permission Worldwide Sony Pictures Entertainment Acquisitions Inc. has not granted to 99.234.66.118.

We have received information that an individual has utilized the above-referenced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of the above-mentioned work through a "peer-to-peer" service.

The attached documentation specifies the location on your network where the infringement occurred, the number of repeat violations recorded at this specific location, as well as any available identifying information.

The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted motion pictures constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United States Code Section 106(3). This conduct may also violate the laws of other countries, international law, and/or treaty obligations.

Since you own this IP address, we request that you immediately do the following:

1) Disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct described above; and
2) Terminate any and all accounts that this individual has through you.

On behalf of Worldwide Sony Pictures Entertainment Acquisitions Inc., owner of certain rights to the copyrighted material at issue in this notice, we hereby state, pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Title 17 United States Code Section 512, that we have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by Worldwide Sony Pictures Entertainment Acquisitions Inc., its respective agents, or the law.

Also pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we hereby state that we believe the information in this notification is accurate, and, under penalty of perjury, that MediaSentry is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights being infringed as set forth in this notification.

Please contact us at the above listed address or by replying to this email should you have any questions.

We appreciate your assistance and thank you for your cooperation in this matter. In your future correspondence with us, please refer to Case ID 966368522.

Your prompt response is requested.

Respectfully,

A Kempe
Enforcement Coordinator
MediaSentry.

Rogers Cable Inc.
1 Mount Pleasant Road
Toronto, M4Y-2Y5 CA

RE: Unauthorized Distribution of the Copyrighted Motion Picture Entitled
Spinsah is offline   Reply With Quote