TRIBE - tribe.ca
Home Albums Advertise TRIBE logos Subscribe to TRIBE feed About

Go Back   TRIBE - tribe.ca > TRIBE BOARD > Event Reviews

Caribana 2003

Old 08-04-2003, 03:28 AM   #1
TRIBE Promoter

Caribana 2003

Well, how many of you were caught up in the action?? I found myself downtown both Friday and Saturday, but not really doing anything related to Caribana.

I did pop by Mad Bar on Friday and Saturday to visit Selecta, and both jams were pretty good.

As well, I walked up Yonge to Dundas on Friday night and it was all kids. The older people (my age-ish) must've still been rocking it in the clubs.

Well?? Did you do anything Caribana related?

And if so, what???

vench
vench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 06:01 PM   #2
TRIBE Member

I ate curry goat... that's about it. I tried to stay as far-far away from the celebration as possible. I don't need any bullets, or knives in my back, thanks very kindly!
KillaLadY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 09:18 PM   #3
TRIBE Member

tella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
ev
TRIBE Member

4 people were shot over 14 minutes on yonge street between gerrard and college. one was standing 10ft from police.
ev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 10:55 PM   #5
TRIBE Member

Shit! Are you serious? That's like 5 minutes from my place. When did that happen?
stanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:04 PM   #6
TRIBE Member

holy crap! i was away this weekend so i didn't know that..i take back my rollingeyes emoticon killalady!
tella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:22 PM   #7
TRIBE Member

Spent friday night sitting on my roof watching the action below at Younge & Dundas

My respect for black culture has once again gone down a notch... The worst, lowest level of American consumerism taken to the extreme. Booty, booze, bling, and not much else in sight. Well not much booty either, considering the 10 to 1 guy-to-girl ratio.

Still trying to get the stench of urine washed out of my doorway

The blinged up SUV's were kinda fun though.

Last edited by Gunark; 08-04-2003 at 11:26 PM.
Gunark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 11:28 PM   #8
TRIBE Member

Oh yeah the shooting one block north of here was great too. I'm surprised more of this didn't happen, considering the hyper-aggresive attitude on the street.
Gunark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:22 AM   #9

I read the sun today...

Caribana Bombed I hear

Some blame it being over shadowed by SARS Stock
Some blame it on The poor weather this weekend
Some blame it on SARS in General
Some even Blame it on the "Riff Raff" and Thugs that come out at night during the fesival and shoot up 4 people within 15 minutes.

Me..

one of the reasons I didn't go was because of the amount of whining I heard/read about the organizers did, and the fact that they didn't pay their suppliers last year, and the fact that they talked the city and provicial government into over $650,000 in taxpayers money to support a festival that was guaranteed to fail after toronto's worst economic summer ever
JayBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:07 AM   #10
TRIBE Member

Went to the parade and whin'd a bit to some soca and calypso, tried to follow a truck, but got squished. Despite the group being separated, we somehow left the crowd at the same exit. (can u say psychic connection?)

I must say it was a hassle to get down the lakeshore, that's one of my main complaints. But the numbered poles made it easier for us to find each other.

Loved the steel bands, old and young alike were playing. Made me smile.

It was all about having great company and good laughs. Plus a BBQ afterwards that made it all worth it.

And yeah I saw tons of cops around the Ryerson area (which I live around), but had no idea why until the next day. Oh well.
jus me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:34 AM   #11
TRIBE Member

I went to nathan philips square on Saturday and watched part of the Irie music festival. I saw a live dub band who was pretty cool. Saw a mix of people in the crowd which was nice. (Old yonge, black, white and everyone in between) I think CIUT was putting on the festival and I would like to thank them for organizing a fun free event in honour of Caribanna. Alos I ate some mediocore curry chicken from the vendor at Dundas square.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:38 AM   #12
ev
TRIBE Member

I never go to any of the caribana festivities but I hear that the actual events aren't to bad... it's yonge street at night that fucked.. and the parade to some extent.
ev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 09:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunark
My respect for black culture has once again gone down a notch... The worst, lowest level of American consumerism taken to the extreme. Booty, booze, bling, and not much else in sight.
Well la-di-da. "Black culture" as you call it is saddened by the loss of the respect of one as honorable and distinguished as you. This is truly a great loss, and I shall be pouring some of my 40oz on the ground, right after I take a piss....
fleaflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:20 AM   #14

I went to the parade and had a great time. Got soaked but it didn't damper our spirits. Met loads of people from all over the states who had come up for Caribana and seemed to love it and Toronto. There were people of all ages and races, all having fun together. We didn't experience any kind of trouble, in fact, everyone was really friendly and just out to enjoy themselves.

I don't think it's fair to judge Caribana and/or the 600,00 to 1,000,000 people who partipate in it, by the odd few who use it as an excuse to bring their thugness to the city. Most of the trouble stems from the young, ignorant and disrespectful who are not a true representation of the culture as a whole. The people who associate Caribana with "getting knifed, shot" have probably never attended Caribana or they would realize that these are isolated incidents and should be treated as such. I will admit the Yonge St street party is getting out of hand, but again, I think what used to be a great excuse for showing off cars, picking up, etc, has been taken over by thugs who ruin it for everyone. 15 years ago I used to stroll down Yonge St on Caribana weekend with my girls, looking for cute boys, hanging out and just having fun.

People spend 10 months a year of dedication and hard work getting ready for carnival, making costumes, etc and it is sad they they don't get the attention or respect they deserve because all the attention gets focused on the negatives.

It's a shame this years Caribana will be tarred by these shootings, but for most of us, nothing can ruin our memories of the music, food and fun we had this weekend.

Sweets
Sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 10:40 AM   #15
TRIBE Member

so i guess every shooting that envolves black people in the city over Caribana weekend is related to the festival?
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclipze
so i guess every shooting that envolves black people in the city over Caribana weekend is related to the festival?
So the people who did the shooting in the downtown core were there celebrating something else?

More likely than not the shooting is related to the party, but thats just because a large group of people are all in the same area getting drunk and carrying on.

c'mon now didn't you know all black people carry guns
ddiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:22 PM   #17
TRO
TRIBE Member

I couldn't go...though I did take a quick drive by yonge on saturday night...but it's always the same thing...stupid teeny kids rediculously over done up cars...and tonnes of policia...been there done that..I really wanted to go to the arts and culture jam on sunday but I slept in and just got lazy...

ohh well from what I heard from friends I didn't miss that much..and I was soo wanting to go to the mass and getting ready for it but things came up at the last minute...

booooooooooo

ohh yea and you know what...screw all you people that concentrate on the violence and shit..yea it happens and it's unfortunate..but come on...IT BRINGS THIS CITY SOO MUCH CULTURE...it really pisses me off big time when I read about people talking about the violence tip of this event...it's like people assume that some dude goes to yonge and says "..I'm gonna shoot some one today.." no it's not that it usually happens on the friday or saturday night and really has nothing to do with carribanna at all...really please stop the critciszim...I mean you guys hate it when you hear people or the media talking shit about the "rave" scene...you people are just being like that towards this event...yea theres problems but aside from this year carribanna injects money and tourisim into this city and it really was one of the first international events to toronto on the map...

NUFF SAID

-Bill
TRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:36 PM   #18
TRIBE Member

i would have gone if i could; too much going on this past weekend unfortunately.

it's very unfortunate that events - all events, not just caribana - often get overshadowed by the actions of the worst 1% of the crowd. the same was true of "raves" too.
Klubmasta Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:42 PM   #19
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunark
My respect for black culture has once again gone down a notch... The worst, lowest level of American consumerism taken to the extreme. Booty, booze, bling, and not much else in sight. Well not much booty either, considering the 10 to 1 guy-to-girl ratio.
surely, you realize that's like saying you have lost respect for "white culture" after seeing a kkk event.

call me mr. obvious, but you should not judge an entire people based on the actions of a few wallies.
Klubmasta Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 12:56 PM   #20
TRIBE Member

Caribana-related violence? Like the police chief in Casablanca, I'm shocked, shocked I say. Violence at Caribana is like drug use at Idance 2; everyone denies and decries, but you have be foolish to not to recognize that it is pretty common.

Now, if there were a shooting at Pride, I'd be genuingly suprised.

Just my bit of Caribana-bashing, carry on.
Littlest Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:04 PM   #21
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo

Just my bit of ignorant stupidity once again, carry on.
kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:09 PM   #22
TRIBE Member

Ya those spear chuckers and their violence. They make good food though.</sarcasm>

*c*
KickIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:49 PM   #23
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by qtip
Just my bit of ignorant stupidity once again, carry on.
How am I ignorant?
Littlest Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 03:10 PM   #24
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tella
holy crap! i was away this weekend so i didn't know that..i take back my rollingeyes emoticon killalady!
No problem. I went to Caribana at least 3-4 times and something bad always ended up happening, so...
KillaLadY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 03:11 PM   #25
TRIBE Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo
How am I ignorant?
Agreed. I don't see how it was an ignorant statement.

Surely the police understand this - if you were on Yonge St. at all (especially at night) you'll know that the police presence was nuts- they even had a side street off of gould shut down for a command centre.

It's not racist/ignorant to state the facts.
R4V4G3D_SKU11S is offline   Reply With Quote